Brewing a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbolte1976

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if any of you have brewed a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket?

I know you can order the proper 6.5 gallon buckets easily but I was just curious if any of you have done it and if you've just made it a 4.75 gallon batch or if the 1" of head space wasn't any issue with a full 5 gallons?

Thanks,

JB

What kind of bucket is it? Does it have an o-ring in the lid and a spot fr the airlock/blow off? You could do it, but if you have even a moderately active fermentation, you'll need a blow off tube and you could lose quite a bit. You could always do as you said and make a smaller batch, maybe 4 gal, to give you some head space. Don't have you a LHBS that sells the buckets?

This isn't really fermenting like crazy IMHO. It is pretty typical.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU48pVFJL0Y]YouTube - Homebrew Fermenting Like Crazy[/ame]

You see the need for headspace?

I wouldn't even bother trying, personally. Most of the time, my 6.5 gal bucket lids have a ton of residue on them. I can't even imagine how much would have blown off of a 5 gal.

I actually did ferment my first non-mr. beer 5gal. batch in a 5gal bucket.I used a wallys cheap bucket and lid(which is NOT airtight)and put a full 5 gals in it,installed airlock and attached blow off hose to airlock stem.Well,mahem insued.Got up the next morning and had a broken lid,plugged airlock,foam everywhere and a pissed off SWMBO.
I wouldn't ferment more than 3.5gals in a 5gal. bucket.Better yet just buy yourself a 6.5gal. and be done w/ it.

Back