Irish stout and molasses......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dei3jr

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing, this is my 5th extract kit and wanted to change it a little. I was thinking about adding molasses with the priming sugar when I bottle it. Sound good or any other ideas? How much would you add? How much priming sugar do you use if adding something else?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

the molasses in a stout is not a bad idea at all I would shy away from using it to prime with,
a. the bottle conditioning will take a very long time.
b. with the introduction of large ammounts of sugar in the bottle there are risks of bottle bombs, gushers or leakers

Molasses is still used today in commercial brews

Theakston Old Peculier Old Ale

I would also search google, using beer and molasses, I found several ideas this way !

Good Luck!

-Jason

I am going to add it to my extract batch of Porter,my instructor from brew school said to add it in the last 15 minutes of extract boil.12 oz will do the trick to the 2 - 5 lb. cans of extract.This way it is pastuerized and no contamination.I will also using liquid yeast instead of dry.:mug:

Back