Maple Sap Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoots

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the benefit of a friend who just started tapping his maple trees this year. Up to this point I am a five gallon extract or partial mash brewer that follows directions to learn how to make different beers. My friend is going to give me about 6 gallons of maple sap to make a beer with.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with maple sap. I really need some suggestions on what to brew with this stuff. I understand that it takes about 40 gallons of sap to get 1 gallon of syrup, so I know I may have to add syrup for proper flavor, but honestly I have no idea.

What do you think? I really would like this one to be special.

The 6 gallons of sap would produce about 2 1/2 cups of syrup (I have 15 gallons over a fire as we speak). I would be tempted to use the sap instead of water in a 5 gallon batch of beer. You may need to add more syrup for the flavor to stand out, but you could always do this in the secondary if needed.

Paul

Using it instead of water, that is a good idea. How much flavor will the sap impart? I have never added anything for flavor into the secondary. What would need to be done with the syrup to add it later?

What types of beer would be good with a syrupy flavor?

Back