Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully I'm on higher ground in Staten Island but flooding is already starting. At least I can get some extra work done in my kitchen. Be safe all.

Sonny, I hope that car is on some high ground.

We've got some pretty heavy rain right now, and some gusty wind but nothing terrible. They're saying this storm could possibly be upgraded to a category 2 hurricane. Steady buildup, with the most dramatic stuff later this night into tomorrow morning. Home from work, and gonna try and crank out a batch before potentially losing power.

I don't know if you guys saw my post earlier, but here's an update... Wind and rain seem to be a little more pissed off than last time. Also, power at the Starbucks I work at is back on, so they're calling me in to work !!!!!! Wish me luck.

Williamsburg here; boring! (as usual)

As far as the storm goes, it seems to have slipped right past us. It's a little gusty outside and we are getting a steady weak rain but nothing much so far.
Well see what happens when it cuts west; and, my power goes out for long stretches whenever we get weather so I'm still anticipating power outages. My generator is on standby and plenty of fuel to keep my 3 fermenters happy for a while. :D

Richmond is starting to get some more rain but the heavy stuff isn't expected until late afternoon/early evening. Just in time for my commute home. Lots of wind overnight but nothing too bad. My deck was barely wet when I got up this morning.

I honestly didn't think it was going to be that bad here in CT, but the local government seems to be prepping for the worst. Most businesses are closed down statewide and the entire highway system is being shut down at 1 pm. Conditions here are pretty tame compared to the other affected areas, but we're supposed to start seeing heavy rain and hurricane force gusts starting this evening. Good luck to everyone riding this thing out.

Airborneguy said:
I'm going to head to work now and sleep there. Looks like they may end up closing bridges later, and I have to cross two of them.

Sleep where? At your desk, or is there beds? And are you still bringing the dog?

Central VA just west of Fredericksburg reporting in.

Currently the time is Monday, 11:05am EDT. MOST of the heavy rain falling from this storm's outer rain bands is currently falling along the I-95 corridor from Baltimore to Richmond. We are getting pounded steadily at around 1/2" per hour. Looks to be picking up in intensity soon. I plan to leave work early today, work on Tuesday will be dependent on power outages.

I'm planning to harvest some hurricane rain and brew a batch of Hurricane Pale Ale Tuesday night after the bulk of the storm is past us.

Stay safe out there!

Good luck to all. It must be bad if we have wind/wave advisories on the West coast of Lake Michigan.

Starting to come down here, waiting on an emergency truck of generators to dock at a sister store 60 miles south. I'm the lucky dock worker who gets to drive the 26 foot box truck into the storm to get our share ! Smokey and the bandit ain't got **** on me!

I'm planning to harvest some hurricane rain and brew a batch of Hurricane Pale Ale Tuesday night after the bulk of the storm is past us.

I was thinking of doing something like that as well. My initial thought was to brew with all hurricane rain, but there's no way I am getting 10 gallons worth of water from this storm. I'll just have to settle for the little I can get. I'll still be able to say "brewed with rain water from Hurricane Sandy." Cheers and stay safe!

Was watching Martin O'Malley (MD governor) giving a press conference. Looks like with the shifts overnight Maryland will be hit hard (the eye of the storm passing between Baltimore and Philly), and he was remarkably candid- saying people are going to die in this storm. But if people follow instruction and act responsibly the loss of life should be minimal.

We're running the NYC marathon on the 4th. I hope it's all over and cleared up by then :confused: But with all the flooding, who knows...

So much for, "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My wife works for the Post Office in Ringoes, NJ.

They sent everyone home.

Sorry, no mail folks!

I was thinking of doing something like that as well. My initial thought was to brew with all hurricane rain, but there's no way I am getting 10 gallons worth of water from this storm. I'll just have to settle for the little I can get. I'll still be able to say "brewed with rain water from Hurricane Sandy." Cheers and stay safe!

Rig up a very small tarp to funnel rain water into a large container. I have 2 of those 20 gallon plastic pails that people put kegs in for field parties I'm filling. :rockin:

So much for, "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My wife works for the Post Office in Ringoes, NJ.

They sent everyone home.

Sorry, no mail folks!

That is actually a myth.

Jayhem said:
Rig up a very small tarp to funnel rain water into a large container. I have 2 of those 20 gallon plastic pails that people put kegs in for field parties I'm filling. :rockin:

U guys seriously gonna brew with rain water? Has anyone ever done this? Interested...

Sleep where? At your desk, or is there beds? And are you still bringing the dog?

Dog went to my cousins last night instead. The Miata is safely tucked away in my mother's boyfriend's service station. We have a few beds in the back of the locker room. Won't be ideal, but better than trying to drive in midst of it tonight.

I'll update later.

U guys seriously gonna brew with rain water? Has anyone ever done this? Interested...

I'm sure it's been done. Rain from this storm will be some of the cleanest rain water you can get. since it's moving west off the Atlantic and the early rain bands have pretty well washed the atmosphere clean of dust, pollen and pollutants. The only problem with rain water is it will be very low in nutrients for the yeast so some yeast nutrient would be a good idea.

I'm sure it's been done.
So, here's my idea.

We have a pergola in the back yard. I tie a sheet to the four corners and place something heavy in the center with my pot under that point. The sheet should filter out leaves and debris and funnel the water into the pot.

I'm sitting in Jackson, NJ right now. The eye is supposed to pass directly over us. I love the idea of using rain water for the brew. What about brewing something with a ton of wheat? It could look a little sandy :p

I is not looking too bad so far in NYC. My sis just posted pics of her on the boardwalk in Queens and the water is only 1/4 of the way to boardwalk. I know this is not the case everywhere. Stay safe everyone.

We closed the homebrew shop early today. Had a surprising number of customers come in to get grains and gear for hurricane brewing. Just outside Philly it still isn't terrible. But, Dr. Greg Forbes (who I generally trust) said the Philly burbs could see 90-100mph winds tonight. That's kinda freaking me out...

Just lost power here and my shed is partially blown over. Getting upwards of 75 MPH gusts. Time to start drinking before the beer gets cold.

Latest posts

Back