Getting out of the kitchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
I've been all-grain for a long while now, and it's great to be out in the garage where I don't have to fear the wrath of the SWMBO if something boils over (not that it happens much, thanks to Fermcap- a fantastic invention). But I'm still heating all my water in the kitchen.

I just installed a hose bib in the garage, and ordered some equipment so as to set up a simple gravity-fed system where I can do everything in the garage, from dough-in to pitching.

My question is: what is a safe distance from a standard turkey-fryer propane stand burner to a cooler MLT? How much heat is radiated sideways that would pose a melting threat to the cooler? Also, I have it all on a wooden table. I know a lot of you have wooden brew sculptures. There's not much heat threat downwards, right? Can I have a propane stand on top of the wooden table with no worries?

Thanks for any input.

I've been all-grain for a long while now, and it's great to be out in the garage where I don't have to fear the wrath of the SWMBO if something boils over (not that it happens much, thanks to Fermcap- a fantastic invention). But I'm still heating all my water in the kitchen.

I just installed a hose bib in the garage, and ordered some equipment so as to set up a simple gravity-fed system where I can do everything in the garage, from dough-in to pitching.

My question is: what is a safe distance from a standard turkey-fryer propane stand burner to a cooler MLT? How much heat is radiated sideways that would pose a melting threat to the cooler? Also, I have it all on a wooden table. I know a lot of you have wooden brew sculptures. There's not much heat threat downwards, right? Can I have a propane stand on top of the wooden table with no worries?

Thanks for any input.

You could do some testing to see exactly how great the heat is in your setup. However, I think the best advice would be to just err on the side of caution. The thought of a malfunction in the order of starting the table on fire that is supporting a propane burner and maybe 6+ gallons of boiling, sticky fluid is not a good one ... at the very least you could put the burner on some pavers? I think it would be better on the ground. Get a pump if you have to.

Gratz on getting out of the kitchen though!

Back