Gallon Jug Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
Happy New Year Cider People
I have quite a bit of cider ready to bottle up. Was wondering about aging some of it in gallon jugs rather than bottles. Are there any advantages or disadvantages? I assume it would NOT be okay for carbonated cider or would that glass thick enough? If I do bulk age in gallons, would I use a screw cap or just leave it under airlock or what?
Thanks,
gus

If the fermentation is complete, aging in gallon jugs is wonderful, they are easy to store, some juice comes in them, and bulk aging helps consistency from bottle to bottle.

Yes, they'll age great! But, they can't be carbonated as most glass in jugs isn't designed to hold pressure.

The only other thing I can think of that would be an issue is drinking the cider. A gallon is a lot! If you pour out of the jug, then you'll be exposing it to oxygen and it'll have to be drunk relatively quickly. If you age it in the jugs, though, and then bottle by racking it out of the jugs, it'd be fine.

Back