Festbier Oktoberfest Bier Tent Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2206
Yeast Starter
2L stirplate starter
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 50°
Additional Fermentation
48hr D-rest at 64°
Tasting Notes
Malty, creamy mouthfeel and nice bitterness initially, slight sweet finish overall.
Oktoberfest Beer Tent Beer:

8.00 lbs. Pilsener
2.00 lbs. Dark Munich Malt
0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
0.19 lbs. Melanoidin Malt

Hops:
2.00 oz. Hallertauer, Whole leaf, 3.50AA , First wort hop addition

Mash:

Mash Type: Single Step

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150° Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp: 212° Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170° Time: 10

Sorry about the condensation on the glass:
Oktoberfest_Biertent_beer_test_sample.jpg

This was my first attempt at cheating a decoction mash by using melanoidin malt, I feel it turned out pretty damned well and kept the brew day within reason. There may be a few tweaks next batch, but it is pretty solid in my opinion and is well recieved by all who tasted the samples. the head is a crisp white color and rather thick, with a nice steady stream of bubbles, excellent lacing, a nice bitterness initially with the malty aroma and flavor keeping pace as the beer warms.

This beer was racked off the yeast after the D-rest into a secondary and was then cooled 2-3° per day to lagering temps, transferred to a keg and carbed to 2.4 volumes and lagered for a minimum of 6 weeks. this batch (minus a few samples) will lager the full 6 months until Oktoberfest.

Although a little low on the OG, this is an attempt at an easy drinking simple festbier to enjoy with friends and family, since I was more concerned with those aspects it is a bit shy of the style.

Note: the recipe is for a 5.0 gallon batch, my OG numbers however are for 5.5 gallons with 80% efficency. The values for 5.0 gallons should be 1.057 OG based on 75% eff.

Mine's still lagering until the end of Sept.
9.5 lbs pils
2.5 lbs of light munich (both Weyermann)

6 gallon batch.

1 oz Hallertauer at 60
1 ounce at 30.

30 minute rest at 140 and 30 mins at 156.

Beer went from 1.058 to 1.012 so it dried out nicely which I think is key for this type of beer. Color was perfect from what I remember at the tents. Man, I can't wait, samples were great. I'll take a pic and post it in a month or so when I pull it back out.

Back