High Ferm Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauldice

Reaction score
So I used a carboy heater in conjunction with a thermometer. The problem is the thermometer slipped out and the heater was left on for a while. By the time I got to it, the temp was about 20deg too warm.

Thoughts on salvaging the batch?

How long had it been fermenting?

I never toss a batch until I've tasted it multiple times and decided it's not worth saving.

its been fermenting for 10 days today, I believe the temp started increasing yesterday, but perhaps it has been 2 days.

The fermentation was slowing and should have been close to complete by the time the temp started hiking up.

I'm gonna assume this is an ale

The problems of higher temps is really only a big deal in the early stages of fermentation. You need keep things cool for the first few days as the fermentation gets going. Once it's going strong you can let the temps rise up without any negative effects. In fact higher temps towards the end of fermentation will help you get those final gravity points of attenuation. While 20 degrees too hot is not what I'd recommend, I think your OK. RDWHAHB!

yes it is an ale. an Imperial pale ale to be exact. It was wyeast am ale II strain. 65-72 optimum temp. got it up to 92 before I started cooling it back down this morning.

Back