Gas Fired RIMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODstads

Reaction score
Right now I am still in Afghanistan but my wife ok'd me building a new stand and I am in the process of getting all the planning side of the house done so that when I get home I can just get to it! (and of course encounter all the flaws that I am sure have come from my "amazing planning") I will post pictures as I finish plans and input to my project is not only welcome but ENCOURAGED! ha! I am new to a RIMS build/operation and I like the idea of a gas fired system with 3 burners and 2 tiers. I have already ordered a 20 Gal HLT and a 20 GAL MT and am slowly saving for that 30 gal BK! Here is what I have so far...

CntrlBoxFrnt.jpg

View attachment RIMS.pdf

sculpture.jpg

HLTBKdetail.jpg

I know the lines in the schematic aren't straight but I am still trying to figure out how to do the CAD thing. Any thoughts on the wiring? I also added an E-stop but just for the burners in case things start getting a little to wild!:rockin:

CntrlBoxFrnt.jpg

CntrlBoxSchematic.jpg

I like your idea of a gas fired mash tun, but one thing that needs to be done is to stir it frequently to prevent scorching. Will you be manually stirring or have the ability to add that on? I was thinking something like ice cream freezer motor.

Also, it doesn't look like you have a way to control the boil kettle burner - just off or on. Do you have needle valves on the gas line?

Thanks for the suggestion on the stirring :mug:, I'll start to look into that. As for the boil kettle I was planning on adjusting manually for now by putting a valve attached to the burner orifice. I wasn't sure how to draw the burners properly but the orifices will be pointing towards the front of the sculpture to make them easily accessible.

I like your idea of a gas fired mash tun, but one thing that needs to be done is to stir it frequently to prevent scorching. Will you be manually stirring or have the ability to add that on? I was thinking something like ice cream freezer motor.

Also, it doesn't look like you have a way to control the boil kettle burner - just off or on. Do you have needle valves on the gas line?

It seems like adding another pump to recurculate the MT would be less complicated and just going with a single tier design.

It seems like adding another pump to recurculate the MT would be less complicated and just going with a single tier design.

I am using the pump to recirculate the mash tun and gravity sparging from the HLT. I am building what I guess I'll call a RIMS tower that will have wort from the mash pumped through it where the temperature will be taken for the PID, flow measured, and then recirculated back into the autosparge. I'll start working on a plumbing diagram (more CAD learning!) later today.

So, maybe I'm missing something but I would think you could cut the boil Honeywell valve entirely right? If it's on and off, can't you just get away with a normal valve instead of using a button to turn it on and off? That would make your layout a little more simple and would save some money there.

I'm also not sure about pumping into the autosparge. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but everything I've read so far shows that it either doesn't work, or it's difficult to tune in correctly. It seems that too much pressure will blow out the valve body, so a pump is not recommended.

I'm going to keep an eye on this, as I'm thinking about automating my setup and you're doing some of the legwork for me here.

So, maybe I'm missing something but I would think you could cut the boil Honeywell valve entirely right? If it's on and off, can't you just get away with a normal valve instead of using a button to turn it on and off? That would make your layout a little more simple and would save some money there.

I'm also not sure about pumping into the autosparge. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but everything I've read so far shows that it either doesn't work, or it's difficult to tune in correctly. It seems that too much pressure will blow out the valve body, so a pump is not recommended.

I'm going to keep an eye on this, as I'm thinking about automating my setup and you're doing some of the legwork for me here.

To be honest I am putting the push button boil kettle burner in the system because it's.....a gadget.... :rockin: . See below for a mash flow diagram. Working on the other diagrams as I find time. Really looking forward to leaving this damn country!

MashFlow.jpg

If you have a full false bottom so that the grain does not touch the bottom and you recirc with a pump, you should not have any scorching. No need to stir if you are constantly recirculating the wort.

If you have a full false bottom so that the grain does not touch the bottom and you recirc with a pump, you should not have any scorching. No need to stir if you are constantly recirculating the wort.

I do have a full false bottom. Thanks for the assurance. It'd be a fun project to make a DIY stir device though.... see below for the remaining diagrams

LauteringFlow.jpg

BoilFlow.jpg

WhirpoolFlow.jpg

ChillFlow.jpg

Back