strike water too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cap1

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just did my first Partial Mash brew and im wondering what happens if my strike water gets too hot and stays at the temp for about 5-10 minutes? Any feedback?

Of course the problem is not the strike water but the mashing water. You are speaking to experience here LOL

What has happened to ME is that my OG will come out fine and dandy - but I won't get the FG as low as you would want. Meaning you will have more unfermentable residule sugar then expected. (at least that is my take on it)

Happened on my last brew of Milk stout. I actually got higher OG but instead of an FG of 1.015 I only got to 1.025

Like Grinder said, the mash temp is the real key. If you missed you mash temperature by 10 degrees you must have missed the strike water temp by abut 15-20, hard to say without knowing how much heat your mash tun absorbed. In any case, unless you were mashing at 170+ I doubt your beer will be adversely affected.

In the future you can use temperature calculators like this to nail your mash temps

The only problem is having the mash sit at 160F or higher for even 10 minutes. Beta enzymes would be denatured pretty quickly and the final gravity of the beer will be higher than you want. If you get into the upper 160's, you pretty much denature all the enzymes and will get no conversion at all.

The only problem is having the mash sit at 160F or higher for even 10 minutes. Beta enzymes would be denatured pretty quickly and the final gravity of the beer will be higher than you want. If you get into the upper 160's, you pretty much denature all the enzymes and will get no conversion at all.

Don't mean to hi-jack but this is kind of on topic.

Finally - after 6+ weeks I know what happened with my coffee stout. I ended up with a higher than anticipated OG and it wouldn't get down past 1.030. Even after 3+ weeks in the primary with the addition of champaign yeast. The problem was, as a total newbie I actually boiled my grains. Brought the water to a boil, added grains and shut the heat down. This is the first explanation that make sense to me.

TYVM!

Seriously - mistakes will teach you so much because all you can do is think about what went wrong and why. I still have one that I can not figure out but . . . .what can I do. I THINK I did not have a vigorous boil and it turned out very watery. Batch #2.

cap1 - your beer will taste fine - just not exactly as expected. A little more body and Alcohol will be less then hoped but very drinkable.

Back