Critique this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
My intent was to create a clone of Bell's oberon. I followed a recipe I found here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51439&page=2, but had to alter it a bit.

Steeped 1 pound torrified wheat and 1 pound munich for 15 minutes. Temp ranged from 152-166. 2 pounds seemed a lot to steep to me, but I've only ever worked with kits before this

6.3 pounds wheat DME

1 oz perle 60 min

.5 oz saaz 15 min
.5 oz liberty 15 min (The original recipe called for Herzbrucker. My LHBS didn't have it, saw that Strisslespalt was a good replacement, but didn't have that, and saw that liberty was a good replacement for Strisslespalt, so gave me liberty.

.5 oz saaz 5 min
.5 oz liberty 5 min

yeast was safale-s-05

OG was smack around 1.050-1.052ish.

The hydro sample tasted disgustingly sweet and hoppier than I may have intended, but I'm sure a lot of the sweetness will ferment out.

Let me know what you think or if I left something out!

No worries man, that sweetness will subside, do you recall the AA% on the hops? That recipe I posted is pretty close.

The AA for the liberty I used was 3.7

I'm excited for this recipe and glad you posted it. Is it pretty similar to Oberon?

The AA for the liberty I used was 3.7

I'm excited for this recipe and glad you posted it. Is it pretty similar to Oberon?

yes it is pretty close, the owner of my lhbs made it. A lot of oberon clones come out to bland, this one seemed to come out the closest.

Just tried my first Oberon and I have to make this. Want to try a partial mash, how does this look?

Mash
2 lbs 2 row
1 lb torrified wheat
1 lb munich

Extract
5 lbs wheat DME

hop schedule as posted, Think this would get close?

The munich is key, I would say. I made a similar clone with a pound of munich and a .5 pound of light crystal 20-40L.

Latest posts

Back