Ready to Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerdad

Reaction score
Brewed batch #7 on 4/12, a DFH 60 minute IPA clone, taken from Calagione's 'Extreme Brewing' book (slightly modified w/Beersmith to use late extract addition to compensate for a non-full batch boil volume). OG was 1.059. After 2 weeks racked to secondary to dry hop, and the gravity was down to 1.014. The target readings per the recipe were 1.064 for the OG, and 1.017 for the FG, so I was pretty well on target.

Now, 3 weeks after racking to secondary, and 5 weeks from brew day, there is still bubbling in the airlock, and you can see small bits of debris circulating around. I really want to bottle this, or at least get it off the hops by racking to a tertiary. It's already been in the secondary a week longer than the recipe called for.

What do you guys think?

Recipe:

3 lb light DME (added at beginning of boil)
4 lb light DME (late addition, 15 minutes left to the boil)
8 oz Biscuit (couldn't get amber malt locally, so compromised)
.5 oz Warrior (continuous over 60 min)
.5 oz Simcoe (continuous over 60 min)
.5 oz Amarillo (continuous over 60 min)
.5 oz Amarillo (end of boil)
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale yeast (w/starter)
1 oz Amarillo (dry hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (dry hop)

After 5 weeks I would say it is safe to bottle.

Just a thought to keep that "floaty" stuff out of your bottling bucket
wrap the wand or your racking cane with a hop sock,
it should stop the stuff floating around from getting in to your bottles

If your gravity is still at 1.014 then it's ready. I know with some of my batches I'll get slight carbonation in secondary that will cause occasional bubbling in the airlock, even though fermentation is done.

Back