Long-term Fermentation - Use CO2 or Nitrogen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I'm planning on aging a few batches for a year or so in cornies and am wondering if it would be better to leave them pressurized with C02 or nitrogen. Is either advantageous for conditioning, or better for protecting the beer?

depends on whether you want it carbonated or not. you can just carbonate and purge the air space, or if you dont want to carbonate just purge with N2. when you say N2 do you mean pure N2 or beer gas. beer gas will give a little condition because it's about 25% CO2. as far as protection is concerned, both are fine.

SenorWanderer said:
depends on whether you want it carbonated or not. you can just carbonate and purge the air space, or if you dont want to carbonate just purge with N2. when you say N2 do you mean pure N2 or beer gas. beer gas will give a little condition because it's about 25% CO2. as far as protection is concerned, both are fine.

Yeah I'm talking about pure N2. I do plan on carbonating the beer at some point. Is it best to let it condition with or without the carbonation? Does the CO2 actually assist the conditioning?

explosivebeer said:
Is it best to let it condition with or without the carbonation? Does the CO2 actually assist the conditioning?
Most cellared beers are stored carbonated. I'm not sure that it matters much, as I don't think CO2 has much to do with the long term conditioning process. If it were my beer, I'd carbonate it, and store it that way.

Yuri_Rage said:
Most cellared beers are stored carbonated. I'm not sure that it matters much, as I don't think CO2 has much to do with the long term conditioning process. If it were my beer, I'd carbonate it, and store it that way.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Back