Whats the lowest temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmond Dantes

Reaction score
I live in Texas so it usualy doesnt drop to low here but we are supposed to get down to the 40s this week and i am planing on starting a batch. My only concern is how low of a temp can the yeast handle?

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

hey edmond! do you know Reverand McCullum? used to be the Methodist preacher there in Rusk. great guy! married my ex-wife and I....
any who.....depends on the yeast your using. what do you plan to use?

No sorry, don't recollect him.

The yeast is the dry yeast that comes with the G&G Irish Red Ale kit, so i don't know exactly.

Sorry I am new to beer brewing, have done wine in the past, but not beer.

BTW thanks for the quick response DeRoux.

Edmond, how's Jacopo the Maggot? Haven't seen him in a while. :D

Most ale yeasts don't do very well below 65°, so if you can keep it inside between 65°-72° ish it should be okay. Now a lager yeast......

Jacopo he's doin fine for a hundred and fifty year old skeleton. ;)

Thanks for the info ORRELSE.

That leads me to a new question. It is supposed to get as low as 35 at night but 60s and 70s daytime. any suggestions on how i can keep the brew in the proper range? (e.g. insulation/blankets ect...)

Edmond Dantes said:
Jacopo he's doin fine for a hundred and fifty year old skeleton. ;)

Thanks for the info ORRELSE.

That leads me to a new question. It is supposed to get as low as 35 at night but 60s and 70s daytime. any suggestions on how i can keep the brew in the proper range? (e.g. insulation/blankets ect...)

Where are you fermenting this beer? Is it going to be in a house? Temp fluctuation isn't as great as say, in a garage, but a few degrees isn't going to kill the yeast. Extremes are bad, but you can have some range.

You could always build a fermentation chiller. See DesertBrew for that. :D

It is going to be in an open ended barn, I have some supplies i can build an isulated container out of that would hold the fermenter, R-factor of 16+. What are your thoughts. (Wish I had space in the house, might just put it in the bedroom lol)

Once again thanks for the quick replies, and all the help. :)

An open ended barn.... hmmm.... I've had challenges in sanitation, but that one probably takes the cake with what I've had to deal with.

Waterbed heater? I think the thermostat goes low enough, let me check....two of mine go down to 70, dunno about accuracy. If lucky, they would actually be lower...

Build the cabinet large enough that you can stick a bucket of hot water in with the fermenter. Insulate all around. I built a cabinet in Oakland and used plastic wrapped 6" fiberglass batts, even stapled one to the door. Check the temp. each night and re-heat the water as required. (This assumes you don't have any power in the pole barn) Shoot for 60-70F or learn to lager in the winter.

sounds like these guy's have you covered pretty good!

i'd just try to leave it inthe house until it ferments out.

You want to consider a heater tape like used on hoses. Wrapped around a fermenter or carboy, these work better than the carboy heaters and cheaper.

Back