I've got what appears to be a 1928 Frigidaire AP-5...what should I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justincredible

Reaction score
I couldn't get a decent picture with my phone. The room in the basement it is in has no lights and my flash stinks.

Here is the best pic I could get:
imag0714v.jpg

The rust was just on the surface of the enamel and I was able to rub it off with a little spit on my finger.

Here is a better pic of the same fridge (other than the color):
1.png

Best I can tell is it is a 1928 Frigidaire AP-5 and fully restored is worth a lot of money according to this site: http://www.antiqueappliances.com/products/frigidaire/1928_frigidaire_ap5.htm

This one is obviously not worth that much as it has been sitting in our basement for lord knows how long. We've been here for 3 and a half years and it was down there when we bought the place.

It would make one sweet looking kegerator if it still works but I'd had to drill a hole through the door of a fridge potentially worth thousands.

Anyone ever have a similar situation? Any thoughts/ideas?

Maybe see what its worth, sell it, and use the proceeds to buy a kegerator?

Its a cool looking fridge - I love vintage appliances!

Don't drill the door for the love of God !!! Maybe make up a fancy wood inside the door, door that has taps through it ?? Can you imagine what I'm thinking ??

I'm imagining you open the door to see a false wood wall 6" inside with taps built through it.. It might be a PIA to swap kegs, but you wouldn't damage the fridge !!

Don't do anything at all to it just yet. I might be interested in buying it and I am near where you live. Does it run?

I just plugged it in real quick and nothing kicked on. Not sure how long I should have waited but there wasn't instant feedback and I gotta run to work. When I get home tonight I'll plug it in and let it sit for a while to see if anything starts running.

Antique refrigerators like that are too rare and too cool to cut up for a kegerator. If you really want to use it for homebrewing just hook it up to a johnson controller and use it as a fermentation fridge. But DON'T drill up the doors!

Oh and a word on value for an unrestored, non-working fridge like that...200-300 tops. You've got to realize that the fully restored prices you're seeing on that website you referenced include A LOT of investment in parts and labor to get them back to their former glory. They aren't worth much unrestored.

Antique refrigerators like that are too rare and too cool to cut up for a kegerator. If you really want to use it for homebrewing just hook it up to a johnson controller and use it as a fermentation fridge. But DON'T drill up the doors!

Oh and a word on value for an unrestored, non-working fridge like that...200-300 tops. You've got to realize that the fully restored prices you're seeing on that website you referenced include A LOT of investment in parts and labor to get them back to their former glory. They aren't worth much unrestored.

Thanks for the info. That's crazy that restored they could be worth up ~20x more than unrestored. Wonder how much it would take me to get it up and running smoothly. All of the pieces, at least the exterior, are in great shape. It would only take a little elbow grease to polish them up all nice and shiny.

I'm imagining you open the door to see a false wood wall 6" inside with taps built through it.. It might be a PIA to swap kegs, but you wouldn't damage the fridge !!

I see what you're saying now. I don't think there would be enough room on the inside for that to work. It would be pretty cool, though.

Thanks for the info. That's crazy that restored they could be worth up ~20x more than unrestored. Wonder how much it would take me to get it up and running smoothly. All of the pieces, at least the exterior, are in great shape. It would only take a little elbow grease to polish them up all nice and shiny.

Before you do anything to it at all, including cleaning it up, I would do some more checking to find out how valuable it actually may be. That beauty might just qualify as a museum piece.

Before you do anything to it at all, including cleaning it up, I would do some more checking to find out how valuable it actually may be. That beauty might just qualify as a museum piece.

Yeah, I'm just having trouble finding much information on the fridge. The only reference I had, which is why I made the thread, was from the site that has it listed for $5800. I was seeing (potential) dollar signs. :)

I left the fridge sit plugged in for a bit tonight and it gave no indication of working. Unfortunately.

Bummer, but it may not be out for the count. I'd find a friend with some HVAC experience and have them check it out in exchange for a few beers or something. Depending on your DIY skills, you may be able to troubleshoot it yourself.

Bummer, but it may not be out for the count. I'd find a friend with some HVAC experience and have them check it out in exchange for a few beers or something. Depending on your DIY skills, you may be able to troubleshoot it yourself.

I known none of my friends down here have any hvac experience but I will ask around. I'm going to look around online, too, to see if I can figure it out. I'd consider myself an above average DIYer so it might be something I could figure out.

I known none of my friends down here have any hvac experience but I will ask around. I'm going to look around online, too, to see if I can figure it out. I'd consider myself an above average DIYer so it might be something I could figure out.

Your average DIY skill should allow you to at least check out the electrical part of the system. You know, is the compressor getting juice. Is the thermostat working, etc? It may be something as simple as a loose connection or broken wire. Good luck with it.

Another reason not to drill into that beast, if it was built in the 20's I'd be a little worried about asbestos.

Another reason not to drill into that beast, if it was built in the 20's I'd be a little worried about asbestos.

I don't think that asbestos was ever commonly used to insulate domestic refrigerators. An old timer once told me that they mostly used ordinary paper cardboard. They were not as concerned about energy efficiency way back then as electricity was dirt cheap at the time. I do not know if what he relayed was actually true or not.

Just because they are asking $5800, it doesn't mean someone is going to pay that much. Also note that they are going to put a new refrigeration unit inside. If that's the case then cleaning up your old unit and installing the guts of a So Korean fridge gives you a similar result for little cash.

I picked up a ap-5 1928 Frigidaire in emasculate condition it has never been used and is totally original, any ideas on its value?
I would like to have some kind of idea.
Thanks

fridge.jpg

20130413_220718[1].jpg

20130413_220741[1].jpg

20130413_220733[1].jpg

Back