Too many hobbies!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
Does any ones else have to many hobbies!! killing the bank account all at once!!!!!

I got

Me Beer.. duh.. trying to make the jump to all grain
Advide off roader.. got a 01' TJ on 36's.. plus a 4 wheeler .. blah blah
Got the chainsaw bug.. 3 saws. plus growing.. looking for new projects

Best of all.. were having a baby.. any freaking day... .. So I seew all else taking a side road..

how do you guys manage them?

I've got in and out of a few expensive hobbies and things.

Computers
Audio
Cars (can't afford anything else for my Z28, sucks)
Beer (brewing and buying good beer sometimes)
Bourbon
and now Cigars.

Let's see..

Brewing
Golf
Pool
Had to put Guitars to the side

My wifes hobby is the killer though....Horses...ugh:eek:

I gotta ask, how are Chainsaws a Hobby?:) I have two, but they just mean work to me.

Brewing
Computers
Cigars ($$$$$)
Beer (buying bottles)
woodworking
golf
bowling
and prolly more I cant think of

I do video game hacking (have a hacked PS2, PSP, and 360)
I'm good with computers (have to be for game console hacking)

Really those hobbies cost me minimal moneys.

Brewing
Gardening
Photography

Computers - not so much a hobby as a necessity for work

I've also got 3 chainsaws, but never considered it a hobby - just need to get the firewood in each year and the target trees kept getting bigger.

Best of all.. were having a baby.. any freaking day... .. So I seew all else taking a side road..

Babies are the BEST! (back me up here, guys.) You can manage the other hobbies... You'll just need less sleep...

Enjoy your baby-time. They do grow up so fast.

Cheers,
Michael

Computers (mostly work anymore. I just don't want to spend money on mine)
Car Restoration (69 Mustang Hardtop, 59 Edsel Ranger 4-door Hardtop)
Brewing (current time and money waster)
Other assorted projects related to making things for other hobbies.

Really, Brewing has taken over for me. I now have a garage and a good set of tools to work on my cars, but still have not started working on the mustang since it came up here this spring. With house projects to finish and kids' activities, it's hard to find time for everything. I'm planning a Brown Ale to brew hopefully tomorrow, and I've been meaning to start welding on the car since forever, but tonight, while I'm not prepping to brew, I'll be working on the Snow Thrower in anticipation of this coming winter season. And maybe I'll either put the fabric on the Mustang Seats, or take down the old frame rail from upstairs and weld the brace from that, onto the Mustangs new frame rail.

brewing
offroading
fast cars
skateboarding
surfing
mtn biking
fixing classic bikes
camping
hiking
fabricating
Coffee tasting
Vloging/youtubing
Computers
Scotch
Ukulele

I haven't made any babies yet, but you can be assured, me and my wife practice as much as possible. ;) Oh, and I like hats.

Brewing
Fly Fishing
Gardening
Arguing w/ SWMBO about money for these hobbies

My wife had a baby 3 months ago so no we have a 15 month old and a 3 month. Needless to say, the hobbies have been on the back burner for awhile.

In all seriousness, it is all about time management and choices. If I have 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon, I am definitely brewing. You really just have to plan what you're going to do when free time comes around. With 2 under 2, that happens very rarely. . ;)

This thread is useless without pictures guys...

Mine are mostly your usual southern stuff...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y_Gt4oHSf0]Swimming on the river... [/ame]

Canoeing
1115081731a.jpg

Hiking
13344_169949346238_637861238_292331.jpg

I have also done a ridiculous amount of videography. Mostly skateboarding/BMX/MTB based, but at age 19 I completly produced, shot, edited, and paid for a video that was premiered at a local theater. I barely broke even on the deal, but it sure was fun... If you're bored feel free to check out a pretty bad representation of it all over on my YouTube Page

Other fun stuff?

I built this slide a couple years ago for me and my friends. It was pretty fun.

When I get a chance, I'm a big fan of scuba diving. I worked at a scuba shop for awhile when I was younger and was lucky enough to get certified for free and had free use of shop equipment. I've only been diving once this year, but dammit if that stuff isn't amazing.

But, on a day to day basis... when I'm not working I mostly ride my mountain bike and work on the local trails. I built this ladder bridge the other day with a friend of mine using only hand tools. I'd never cut down a tree with an axe before, but wow... my hands were b.e.a.t.

mtb.jpg

Sadly right now brewing is not one of my hobbies (had to take a hiatus due to my job), hopefully soon that will change, but for now browsing HBT sure is!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing
Biking

That is about it, I spend 360+ hours per month at work, so that is about all I can manage to do!

My FIL calls me a "power hobbyist" because I throw myself fully into every hobby I start. My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies because I have so many.

Radio controlled cars/planes/helicopters, woodworking/woodturning, blacksmithing, mountain biking, road biking, rock climbing (out and indoors), skateboarding, beer, bread baking, cooking, whisky, photography, astronomy, restoring British sports cars, playing various musical instruments (badly), writing computer games...

I just do whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment. Right now it's usually beer and/or Rock Band :)

-Joe

Sorry, forgot the pictures! I also forgot to mention pool. Here I am with Julie Kelley, Karen Corr and Jen Baretta.

me_karen_julie1.jpg

joe_jen.jpg

Did I forget to mention that I make bows?

pharoah1.jpg

Oh yeah, big into espresso and home roasting.

vetrano_after.jpg

rosetta_061808.jpg

And some of the previously mentioned hobbies...

ruinationbike.jpg

You can see a bit of the home theater obsession I also forgot to mention in the background here. Outlaw audio 950 (recently upgraded to a 990) processor + 7100 amp.

helistand1.jpg

climb_010707_madamg_rappel.jpg

sourrye2.jpg

whiskies.jpg

-Joe

what year is you z28? I just got my 80 z28 on the road, now I have to store it because of the snow. awesome car, I have about $10000 into it and it is just barely road worthy, haven't even touched the engine yet. I love camaros, I even named my dog cammy.

I've got in and out of a few expensive hobbies and things.

Computers
Audio
Cars (can't afford anything else for my Z28, sucks)
Beer (brewing and buying good beer sometimes)
Bourbon
and now Cigars.

what year is you z28? I just got my 80 z28 on the road, now I have to store it because of the snow. awesome car, I have about $10000 into it and it is just barely road worthy, haven't even touched the engine yet. I love camaros, I even named my dog cammy.

I have a 99 Z28. Longtube headers, catless Y, and axleback, all Hooker. Also have a few other small things (clutch, intake, clutch cylinder, etc). I NEED wider wheels and tires. I can't catch traction for the life of me. I have to drive it in the winter, although last winter it didn't move for a month or more because we had an ice storm. Everything turned into a skating rink. Next would be cam and heads, then suspension.

My hobbies:

Beer (obviously) - not spending as much money as last year, not that I have my 10 gallon all grain setup. Big items this year were natural gas burner and fermentation chamber.

Bikes - I love cycling, and it's definitely my "new" hobby. But it also serves as my main mode of transportation. I sold my car for $8k, and bought a bike + accessories for $1200, and put the rest in the bank. I save $100+ each month by not paying for gas, insurance, registrations, oil changes, etc. In 7 more months it will be paid for...and actually putting money back in the bank.

Photography - don't spend much money on it, I just get out there and shoot. My dad just gave me his Canon Rebel xti with a telephoto lens too, so I've been doing that a lot more.

Computers - used to build them quite a bit, but haven't lately. I spend all day at work on a computer, and don't have much time to game anymore like I used to.

Does any ones else have to many hobbies!! killing the bank account all at once!!!!!

I completely understand where you're coming from. Right now I'm managing recording a new album, playing out, building my own instruments for my noise band, furthuring my brewing education, brewing beer, gardening, drinking heavily, photography, poetry.

I also try to touch on my other hobbies here and there:
Fencing, gun handling/ marksmanship, western style gun spinning, magic, golf, hacky sack, impressions, pinball, airhockey, fooseball, lock smithing, guitar, bass guitar.

I have nixed a few hobbies over the years, comic book collecting (which I'm trying to sell my massive collection right now), prop replica building, model building, etc etc.

I really don't know how I fidn time for them all, but somehow I do. :tank:

I also am a hobby collector and tend to go nutz about them
My most recent:
Disc Golf
Brewing
Dirtbiking
Competitive Paintball (played collegiate)
Building highend paintball guns

Current hobbies are Brewing and Disc Golf. At least DG is relatively cheap.

*edit* Cheeto reminded me of a couple
Planning a bar build
Wife and Kid time.

Building Hot rods( not street rods)
beer
cigars
the Military
planning a bar build
kids
wife
HBT (shameless plug)
and anything else that that catches my eye....

You sir, had some serious mutton chops. Consider me impressed.
Thanks man! Just brought them back last month and am sportin' them now. Protip for single guys: if you've got the beard for it, give it a shot. I can not tell you how many random women have commented on them.

IMG_3715.jpg

-Joe

Current hobbies are Brewing and Disc Golf. At least DG is relatively cheap.

Other than playing with my daughter, my only hobbies at the moment are brewing and disc golf... well, and drinking - that counts, right?

Our disc golf tag league finale tournament is this weekend, and for the 2nd consecutive year, I brewed a batch of bitter for it. Nice little hobby combination day for me! (My Daughter is too young to play though :( )

did you crap your pants after you ate that? ;)

computer games, mostly just WoW with the kid now and build models. i've kinda taken a big step back from the beer. only have one batch going since the summer, and only brewed two batches all summer.

Here are my current hobbies along with frequency in parenthesis:

Brewing (Was monthly, now 2-3 times per month)
Cooking (daily)
Boating/Wakeboarding (weekly in the summers)
Cigars (monthly)
Collecting Arcade Games (and minor electronics work to go along with it) (I really get into it 2-3 times per year)
Darts (monthly)
Tennis (every 2 weeks)

And I'm just getting back into Guitar after a 10 year hiatus.

Playing poker, collecting comic books and baseball cards, racketball, baseball, Risk, and playing pen-and-paper RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons/Shadowrun/TMNT are all hobbies I used to have that have fallen by the wayside. And honestly, I'd still be playing poker if I could find a regular table that wasn't completely infatuated with Texas Hold 'Em. I much prefer dealer's choice.

Brewing 2X month
World of Warcraft
Building high end audio stuff, just finished some pretty $$$ speakers
Painting fantasy miniatures
Keeping 2 30-year old Vespas running

Brewing is the only one that I can't poke at for a few minutes here an there. Everything else can be done in small increments of time.

Let's see..

Brewing
Golf
Pool
Had to put Guitars to the side

My wifes hobby is the killer though....Horses...ugh:eek:

I gotta ask, how are Chainsaws a Hobby?:) I have two, but they just mean work to me.

Yeah,, chainsaws.. I burn wood started with a little 32cc Saw ended up buying a 59cc with a ported muffler just bought a 52cc project saw thats in pieces in the basement.. looking for another too.

I forgot about Pool,, I had to put that aside for abit I was spending to much $$ on cues and beer .

We've got horses too,, I know all about them.. $$$$$

Got way too many with little time and money. I usually go through phases. I'll focus on one hobby for awhile and neglect the others and go back.

Jeeps, firearm building and shooting, cycling, fishing, aquariums, collecting of random typewriters and rotary phones ...

Yeah,, chainsaws.. I burn wood started with a little 32cc Saw ended up buying a 59cc with a ported muffler just bought a 52cc project saw thats in pieces in the basement.. looking for another too.

I forgot about Pool,, I had to put that aside for abit I was spending to much $$ on cues and beer .

We've got horses too,, I know all about them.. $$$$$

Yeah the Horses are a bottomless money pit, but you gotta love em'. I big on Firewood now too, finally got a stove last year. I've got a couple of Husqvarna's, a Rancher 55 and 359. I beat the crap out of those things and they keep on truckin':mug:

Beer Brewing (year round, usually 3 - 4 times a month)
Little One (daily, 5 months old, most expensive but most rewarding)
Softball (April - November, 2 teams that each play at least once a week)
Gardening (start from seeds indoors, added hops to the list last year)

I'll also pick up hobbies here and there that I focus on for a while when I have the time/money (kayaking and indoor soccer to name a few...)

63 Avanti
avantR-2.jpg

Love this car, and its a Studebaker to kick. One of my dr. friends has two of them one is a '62 and one is a newer one, cant remember the year but its almost brand new.

As for me

Beer
Gardening
Cooking, more specifically Slow Food, http://www.slowfood.com/
Smoking food
Music
Trucks and Cars

and the craziest one of all

Reading

I hated to read until I got into my major in college and started reading books about it. After that I just took off. I try to finish at least one a week. I read for 30'ish minutes before going to bed pretty much every night.

Surfing...
16543_600696597377_33603978_34740228_2832526_n.jpg
Teaching surfing to wife and kids...
5414_583987846847_33603978_34155371_4334552_n.jpg
Snowboarding..
View attachment 16543_600696372827_33603978_34740190_5363544_n.jpg
Motorcycles and track days (no more track bike or money for track days... but I still got my commute/lazy Sunday bike)...
View attachment n33603978_30047477_2490.jpg
(Drunk racing my kids on their bikes... this did not end well!)...
16543_600696527517_33603978_34740214_1407240_n.jpg
Fishing with the girls...
16543_600696622327_33603978_34740232_525309_s.jpg

Spoiling my girls...
16543_600696442687_33603978_34740201_7588343_s.jpg

And spending time with SWMBO
16543_600696492587_33603978_34740208_8349901_n.jpg

Not pictured: gym nut, Army (I'm in the National Guard now so I call it a hobby ;) ) and xbox 360 gaming....

Love this car, and its a Studebaker to kick. One of my dr. friends has two of them one is a '62 and one is a newer one, cant remember the year but its almost brand new.

As for me

Beer
Gardening
Cooking, more specifically Slow Food, http://www.slowfood.com/
Smoking food
Music
Trucks and Cars

and the craziest one of all

Reading

I hated to read until I got into my major in college and started reading books about it. After that I just took off. I try to finish at least one a week. I read for 30'ish minutes before going to bed pretty much every night.

Studebaker made them from 63 until 64 . They sold the rights to Avanti motors actually was a large Studebaker dealer . The car is still made but its on a Mustang chassis . Mine is the Supercharged R-2 model

My other hobbies cost me lots of money as well.

1967 GTO fully restored.
Guns lots of guns.
Reloading equipment for all those gun.
Beer Beer and more Beer.

Back