How to sweeten a too bitter Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messler

Reaction score
So I made a chocolate stout a couple of weeks ago. Its been in my secondary for a week now and I just tried it and found its too bitter. I used raw coco and it tastes a lot like bitter dark chocolate. This isn't terrible, but I was just hoping to make this more like a christmas chocolate / vanilla / spices stout. So, does anyone have any ideas as to what I could add to up the sweetness a bit and maybe give it some more christmassy flavours. I've already added 6 tsp of pure vanilla extract. I can add more but will that sweeten it?

Vanilla extract won't sweeten, it'll just make it more vanilla-y.

Lactose is an unfermentable sugar that is common in stouts. It's available in homebrew stores, and it should do the trick. You can try a sample, and stir in some lactose and see if it improves the flavor. I suspect that will be exactly what you're looking for!

I use vanilla in my chocolate stout to take the edge of the bitterness without actually sweetening it. If you want sweeter chocolate... Yooper's right, lactose is the way to go.

Thanks. Thats a great idea. Now the next task is finding some stuff. I'm pretty sure my LHBS doesn't carry it, but maybe one of the health food stores in town will have some.

Thanks. Thats a great idea. Now the next task is finding some stuff. I'm pretty sure my LHBS doesn't carry it, but maybe one of the health food stores in town will have some.

Maybe. I'd suggest doing it to taste in a sample jar first, and then extrapolate the amount you need for the 5 gallons. Take out a sample of the beer (a cup is fine) and heat it up and dissolve the lactose into it. Then, sweeten it to taste. Remember, it's better to do it too little than too much. You can always add more! Maybe add what you think is less than it needs, gently stir as to not aerate the beer, then re-airlock it and taste it again in a day or two.

Back