"Stupid Starsan Tricks" or why you shouldn't fear the foam...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fearthefoam.jpg

Star San is awesome.

I don't get it - why leave the foam in there? Can someone explain the benefits of leaving the foam?

Doesn't the sanitizer leave residuals behind that impart flavors or hurt the slurry?

The foam is your friend.

I am under the impression it breaks down into a fermentable sugar or yeast nutrient. I remember reading that somewhere but have no proof.

I don't get it - why leave the foam in there? Can someone explain the benefits of leaving the foam?

Doesn't the sanitizer leave residuals behind that impart flavors or hurt the slurry?

The foam is your friend.

I am under the impression it breaks down into a fermentable sugar or yeast nutrient. I remember reading that somewhere but have no proof.

Yes, it breaks down and becomes yeast food.

It's covered in the podcast linked to here.

Sanitizer Question....

The "blanket" of foam filling the head space actually prevents nasty little critters from even entering the vessel.

It does not impart undesirable tastes when used as directed.

I don't think this thread was ever ON topic, but I'll prost the hell out of the first foam bikini pic.

Still no pic. Though I think you may want to specify that you would like one of the female persuasion to be wearing it. I think it would make people embrace the foam.

Here's why you don't fear the foam. I present starsan hat and beard! Sorry for the blurry pic I had to move fast, the star san was melting.:D

I must say I feel shiny and clean after that.

DSCN2116.jpg

Hahaha I didn't know that Mr. T and that dude from the movie Powder got together and had a kid

My kida love the end of brewdays when the foam snake comes alive. Ill get some pics next time!

haha this is a great thread. i wish i had pics of some of my starsan sculptures.

but seriously if anyone ever "fears the foam", have them take a handful of it and pretend to wash their hands with it. as we all know it disappears and your hands are left bone dry

image-3301903374.jpg

I'm sending this from the iPhone so hopefully the pic shows up. I love the star san snake. Mine coils up and around the hose like a boa.

You cant see it in the pic, but sitting at the bottom of the carboy is my stirbar. I had one of those slow motion "noooooooooo" moments shortly before hearing the splash.

I realize this one doesn't stack up like some of the rest, but it's the first time I've had this happen, and I was just looking at this thread yesterday.

StarSan Bubbles.jpg

I need to brew more to practice this. The last two times I racked I was unsuccessful.

One guy in our local forum was concerned about StarSan residue in his beer so he rinses everything.
What is the end product when yeast eats StarSan?
Does it really affect the taste of the beer if used properly?
My palate is great and I haven't noticed any off flavours.

One guy in our local forum was concerned about StarSan residue in his beer so he rinses everything.
What is the end product when yeast eats StarSan?
Does it really affect the taste of the beer if used properly?
My palate is great and I haven't noticed any off flavours.

I've given that information already on this thread. I gave a link entitled "sanitizer question" in post number 45, please go to that, and your answers will be found.

image-2411554949.jpg

Not exactly impressive, but it's my first, so it will always remain special to me

My First ice cream and it will be so Delicious
and sorry for the poor quality ipod photo

beer snake.jpg

Back