Stuck fermentation...finished fermentation...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
It's been 4 weeks since I brewed my cream ale, I went over on the water by roughly 1.5 gallons, but still ended up with a starting gravity of close to 1.050. The kit instructions estimated a final gravity of 1.016, also saying I should transfer it to the secondary at 1.020 (which I never listen to, I usually just transfer after 3 weeks as a general rule, it was at just about 1.020 by that point however). I transferred it to secondary a week ago, and I've had 2 straight days of the same reading, ~1.018. I was planning on doing some bottling tonight, but I don't know now. What do you guys think? I thought the overdoing the water would give me a lower starting gravity, but I'd end up with the same final gravity...or am I wrong?

Thanks for your opinions guys, I'm going to go ahead with the bottling. The temp was at 62F, just above the calibrated point, so it shouldn't have thrown off the reading much at all. But you're right, 2 points isn't much.

Back