First all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
I started with 6 gallons of water, in the end I had about 2.5 gallons of beer in the primary fermentor, with a lower than target OG (target was 1.068, actually 1.6).

I guess I have no idea what I did wrong, I can only assume I made a mistake while trying to make my mash. Any one have a similar experience? or know where I should start looking to correct this going forward.

Thanks

account for boil off and grain absorption. For instance, if I want 6 gallons in my fermentor, and I lose 1.5 gallons per hour to boil off, and 1 gallon of water to every 5lbs of grain, then for a 10 lb batch, I would need 9.5 gallons of water total (6+1.5+2). Does this help?

I end up using more water for the sparge than for the mash. The key is how much wort you collect and boil - I shoot for 7 gallons.

I started with 6 gallons of water, in the end I had about 2.5 gallons of beer in the primary fermentor, with a lower than target OG (target was 1.068, actually 1.6).

I guess I have no idea what I did wrong, I can only assume I made a mistake while trying to make my mash. Any one have a similar experience? or know where I should start looking to correct this going forward.

Thanks

2.5 gallons goin into the fermenter or after fermentation was done?

They are good go buys, but take good notes your first few times and you will be able to fine tune that. I rarely loose an entire gallon per 5 lbs. of grain. I generally start with around 7.5 gallons +/- before I mash.

Also, your sparge water will be your friend to get you up to the proper boil volume. The grain should be well and saturated by the point that you sparge, and you will get almost all the volume out that you put in.

Back