Hog Slaughter and Smoke at My place. HBT people invited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor quiet person ;)

hahah. Nice job on the quote. :)

I involve my neighbors in all of my antics. They are the primary drinkers of my homebrew and will be getting a lot of great meat. I gave them all of my chicken meat last year. They'll get half a pig in the community freezer that we all share.

I travel a LOT so my neighbors keep my farm going and even clean my house in between BNB guests if I'm away so they're really cool.

Your living the life man.

effing-A. That's why I want to share so much with HBT and my RateBeer friends. Great job (work from home), twice a year travel to Belgium which is where my work is based and a lot of property to do crazy experiments and have bonfires and animals and whatever.

Yeah, totally a lot of fun! You should come visit and hang out!

over the summer, my buddy from London flew out here and lived here for a month and since he has an Internet job, we just chilled, brewed beer and had great times. I'ma homebody so I really like the situation.

HOpe you can make it out in the future!

Sounds like a good time ...hope it doesn't snow ;)

Flurries today and yesterday! It was awesome. We should have a big snow before November 1st. The pigs are well housed. 11 days until slaughter :ban:

Maybe if all the dogs and fish died off and I said f to grad school, I could take a trip all the way out there lol ;)

I grew up on a ranch. Miss it like crazy. My idea of ideal living is a cabin in the woods away from everything. My wife is a city chick ha ha. She has come to terms with the fact that at some point in time we will be moving to the middle of freakin nowhere though.

AJ, that sounds like a great time! I'm out in California but would sure like to stop in. Maybe someday man if I get out that way. Real cool what you're doing! :mug:

AJ, that sounds like a great time! I'm out in California but would sure like to stop in. Maybe someday man if I get out that way. Real cool what you're doing! :mug:

Any time!! Lots of beer, meat and veggies to eat up here. It's snow covered ground 6 months of the year but we still have a great time. You're always welcome.

Just for the record I didn't buy it for a second. Some of the members just haven't picked up yet on what a colon you are :D

Go fork yourself, BB. Preferably with a splintered wooden spoon! ;) :mug:

For the record, I don't buy that you didn't buy it. I know you were secretly full of sorrow for me. :D
And yes, more members should know this, I am a total d!ck. I try to warn them with my tagline (<---over there), but I think they mistake it for a clever home brew reference.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Go fork yourself, BB. Preferably with a splintered wooden spoon! ;) :mug:

For the record, I don't buy that you didn't buy it. I know you were secretly full of sorrow for me. :D
And yes, more members should know this, I am a total d!ck. I try to warn them with my tagline (<---over there), but I think they mistake it for a clever home brew reference.

Nope, not one second ;) we both know you don't know a soul in Sacramento. Does it have to be a spoon? My wife always wants to spoon, but I just wanna fork :D

NordeastBrewer77 said:
You're right, all my friends are a bit north, northeast of there, along the coast.. ;)
And buddy, are you aware of the spork? Classic move. Highly recommended. :mug:

Lol!! The spork. An instant classic.

Man, we don't have the same definition of cabin :D

It's 7 hours away, but I might just take the offer... Get up at 5 am, I'm there at noon if there isn't too much hassle at the border. Tempting.

Do we have to give you a yes or no answer before a certain date ? I do have a tent and everything, so no need for sleeping arrangements if need be.

Man, we don't have the same definition of cabin :D

It's 7 hours away, but I might just take the offer... Get up at 5 am, I'm there at noon if there isn't too much hassle at the border. Tempting.

Do we have to give you a yes or no answer before a certain date ? I do have a tent and everything, so no need for sleeping arrangements if need be.

HEY! Great question. Ineed to know RSVPs by MONDAY the 22nd!!!

The GF is making some great food. I'll be busy with hog stuff..obviously so I can't entertain like I usually do. I like entraining guests but can't as Saturday morning is hog slaughter day and Sunday is brining / curing day.

Friday night we can of course have some beers and chill out. I'll probably grill some chicken. Saturday night...not sure what plans are for dinner but I like to cook. Maybe some chili and corn bread?

Plan is to put half a hog in the ground late Saturday night and eat it Sunday for lunch. I'm not planning any other sides other than hog. I might deep fry some french fries and hush puppies.

Hey Adam,
This looks awesome!
I'm thinking of a summer vacation sometime in July.
Is there somewhere we could rent a couple of ATV's?
Also, how long would it take to drive over to Lake Winnipesaukee. My cousins have a couple of cabins on Bear Island.
Bull

Hey Adam,
This looks awesome!
I'm thinking of a summer vacation sometime in July.
Is there somewhere we could rent a couple of ATV's?
Also, how long would it take to drive over to Lake Winnipesaukee. My cousins have a couple of cabins on Bear Island.
Bull

I don't know about ATV rentals. I'm not as outdoorsy as people think :) But I'm about 1 to 1.5 hours from the lakes region

So is this on Saturday or Sunday?

Still floating. Slaughter should be Saturday with processing / roast on Sunday. The weather looks to be VERY warm this weekend so I'm having some doubts about this weekend. Ideally, it's below 40F at night and looks to be in the 50s.

:mad:

I will be slaughtering the following weekend. I will keep checking back here. I have some people coming up next weekend for Dartmouth football, and the Pats game is at 1 on Sunday. I'll see what I can do to stop by. PM me the your contact info.

I will be slaughtering the following weekend. I will keep checking back here. I have some people coming up next weekend for Dartmouth football, and the Pats game is at 1 on Sunday. I'll see what I can do to stop by. PM me the your contact info.

Sweet. I'd love to stop by. Thanks for the invite? Mind if the GF comes as my +1? I can bring some beer. I'll keep you up to date on the date. I hope it's this coming Saturday. Don't want to resort to an ice bath. Would rather just hang it but that depends on the weather.

The picture of you with the semi auto in one hand and the knife behind your back is a little frightening lol. Ooh come out to my remote cabin :D pretty gnarly set of pics. I wonder how many people could do this instead of just picking up nice little packages of meat from the cooler at the supermarket.

The picture of you with the semi auto in one hand and the knife behind your back is a little frightening lol. Ooh come out to my remote cabin :D pretty gnarly set of pics. I wonder how many people could do this instead of just picking up nice little packages of meat from the cooler at the supermarket.

My friend who helped me with skinning saw that and said, "why in the hell were you hiding the knife like an assassin? The pig already had a gun to its head."

I was amazed at how well things went. I've NEVER stuck a pig before. I got both arteries perfectly on the stick, it bled out fast and it was a silent death. I didn't cut too deep to get the heart and didn't cut into any of the meat. Most people who knew I was doing it myself thought I would screw that part up and taint the meat. It was down right perfect.

-----

A lot of friends do this to brag about how sustainable they live. I did it so I could learn something and increase my confidence in life. It's why I brew beer, travel, make things, etc. It's all about moving forward and I wanted to feel and learn about this.

this was the easy part. Now, curing, smoking, processing the meat, making pancetta, bacon, headcheese, blood sausages and pate'. Trying to use every part of the pig so the next 3 weeks is all about using all parts and learning about that.

...overall, this wasn't any cheaper than grocery store food once it's all said and done but I had a pork chop today. it was 2 inches thick, tasted amazing. so tender and delicious.

bottlebomber said:

Not as tough as you might expect. Hard to miss from that distance.

Any thoughts about their weight? They didn't look huge, but perspective is tough in the pictures.

Great question. They look MUCH smaller than they were. I'm 6'3" These photos taken before slaughter of them in their pen is a better perspective. Big, long, etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/sets/72157631808536765/

I'd say live weight was 200-225. Hanging weight per half was 70-80 pounds? I think live versus hanging is a 30% difference, right? So yeah..200-60 pounds = 140lbs per pig.

Mine should be just a bit bigger than that. Looking forward to being done feeding them and starting having them feed me. A bit different flavor that store bought, huh?

Mine should be just a bit bigger than that. Looking forward to being done feeding them and starting having them feed me. A bit different flavor that store bought, huh?

It's exceptional how great they taste.

So, as far as things to remember for next time. I need to wait longer. I don't want them fatter but the pork bellies we got were total crap. The hams were also too small. The hogs were a lot of work but I wish I had less roasts and twice as much bacon. It's not about volume, it's that there just wasn't a lot of fat for what I was expecting.

Back