what are some beers/recipes that are ready to drink quickly????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
I understand that beers need to condition/age/lager etc....

But ever since I started brewing...I find a lot of my friends/family are awfully impatient (as am I) to drink homebrews often.....

So I'm asking if anyone can recommend any styles that are ok to drink after 2 weeks??? Any techniques to speed the process????what's the fastest way to get to drinking homemade beer? I have several batches going at once aging to different degrees...but I feel the need to have some quick batches to drink in between
Thanks for your help

Look up centennial blond. Grain to glass in two weeks

The best way to ensure fast turnaround is to get your fermentation house in order. That's why big brewers can move beer so quickly. You NEED to have exact control of the temperature of your beer while fermenting (not just the ambient temperatures), you need to be pitching the correct amount of healthy yeast (learn to make starters ahead of time and crash them down beforehand), and you need to be properly aerating your wort before pitching (and adding oxygen again early in growth phase for bigger beers- using pure oxygen will definitely shorten your ferments).

Apart from that, if you're looking for a two week turnaround, you're limited to ales served force carbonated in kegs, and low gravity ones (medium gravity beers can be turned around in this timeline if you're doing all of the above perfectly- pure O2 helps). Think English ordinary bitters, hefeweizens, cream ales and blondes. Low gravity is the key- you're not limited to light colored beers, though. Those beers should be done fermenting entirely at 1 week, and then you have another week of cold conditioning/force carbonating.

I hear that what beers, especially hefeweizens are quick. 2 Weeks to ferment, two to bottle.

kvess said:
Look up centennial blond. Grain to glass in two weeks

I made this w/ Amarillo--it's brilliant! Better yet, I brewed it on 4/21 and drank my 1st last night. 16 days grain to glass, and quite tasty!

Piratwolf. Was that 10 days primary and 6 days conditioned in the keg?

Biermuncher new castle clone can go from grain to glass in two weeks. Here is a pic of my brew. I had it 10 days in primary and let it slowly carb over 2 weeks. I cold have carbed faster in 4 days and probably would still be good.

Beer.jpg

Sweet or dry stouts are quick. Milds can be quick too.

I personally like to make a low og beer <1.040 and then put an other higher gravity beer on top of the yeast cake from my the lower gravity beer. I sometimes repeat that same step again and make an imperial after the medium gravity beer. (Basically making a 5 to 6 gallon starter) Fermentation starts very fast and is very vigorous and quick. Allowing you to make a higher gravity beer quicker. If you go this route it's easiest if you keg your beer on brew day.

Back in my Mr.Beer days I made this recipe: Screw the 2-2-2 Whit, fermenter to glass in 2 weeks. granted it's a 2.25 gal extract recipe, but you can double it for close to 5 gal. I have to say it was pretty good stuff!
(compliments of Jkarp at the mrbeerfans website):

Screw The 2-2-2 Wit (Witbier)

Ingredients:
1.5 lb Wheat DME
.75 lb Extra Light DME
.25 oz Crushed Coriander
1 Large Orange
.50 oz Sterling @ 20 minutes
.25 oz Sterling @ 0 minutes
1 vial WLP 400 yeast

OG: 1.042
SRM: 3
IBU: 13

Instructions:
Brought the Light DME to a boil in 1 gal of water and added the bittering hops in a sack for a 20 minute boil. Discarded sack, added Wheat DME and returned to a boil before adding the coriander, orange zest and juice. Boiled 10 minutes and then dropped the pot into an ice bath to cool. Added the aroma hops and stirred gently until the wort reached 80 deg. Whisked thoroughly to get the oxygen level up, then dumped the wort into the keg and topped with water to 2.25 gal. Took an OG reading and finally pitched the WLP 400.

I know you said that you already have different beers in various stages, but a solid pipeline is the key. I have 5 different beers I can drink at this moment, I have 3 more in various stages fermenting now and hopefully I'll be brewing this weekend.

Yes hefe's seem to be quick, actually those are the 3 fermenting away now, not sure if you are a extract brewer or not but the Coopers canned kits can be turned over quick and they make 6 gallons, I made a few of them before moving to AG.

Milds are super quick (easily grain to glass in 10 days), hefeweizens are quick, and some other beers without too much complexity. Many of my APAs and IPAs are grain to glass in 2-3 weeks, but always by 4 weeks. My stout is a bit longer, due to the roasted malts.

A couple of keys to a fast beer-

-pitching enough yeast. (Consult mrmalty.com's yeast pitching calculator for the proper amount)
-maintaining optimum fermentation temperatures, or even a bit on the low side. If you don't create off-flavors, you don't have to wait for them to fade.
-Keep the OG under 1.052 or so. If a beer is in the 1.040s or under, it tends to be ready faster.
-use a good quality flocculant yeast, so the beer clears fast. For dry, this would be S04 under 64 degrees (so it doesn't get weirdly fruity) or nottingham (ideally 62 degrees or under). For liquid, I like WLP001 or Wyeast 1335 (English, but not too fruity at cool temperatures).

Latest posts

Back