Festbier Rocktoberfest lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Bohemian Lager (WL 2124)
Yeast Starter
Yes, 1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days at 45-50 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 days at 35 degrees
Additional Fermentation
Lagered in keg for an additional 30 days before drinking
Tasting Notes
strong caramel malty backbone
Amount Item
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
12.50 lb Munich Malt (8.6 SRM)
0.90 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (90 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.90 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (60 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
0.55 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

This is not an original of mine, this recipe was one of the 2010 Big Brew Day suggested recipes. I followed the directions pretty much, except for the lagering times, I extended those quite a bit.

Mash grains at 151degrees F. Runoff about 1 gallon (3.78 L) and apply heat to the boil kettle to slightly caramelize the first runnings for 15 minutes before continuing with the lautering process. Batch sparge to collect enough runoff to end up with 5.5 gallons after a 90-minute boil. Ferment at 45-50 egrees F for four weeks, and then perform a diacetyl rest at 60º F for 48 hours. Slowly lower the ambient temperature by 3º to 5º F daily until you reach 35-38 degrees F. Transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter and continue to lower the temperature to 30º -37º F . Lager for 30 days. Rack to keg and lager for an additional 30 days.

I'm just starting to drink this beer and I must say it is absolutely delicious. It has a strong malty caramel backbone but it still comes across as a very balanced beer. It is exceptionally smooth and is definitely a beer I plan on brewing again in another month or two.

There were significantly shorter... Here are the original instructions, copied directly from the AHA website:

Ferment at 45-55o F (7-13o C) for four weeks, and perform a diacetyl rest at 60º F (16º C) for 48 hours. Slowly lower the ambient temperature by 3º to 5º F (1º to 3º C) daily until you reach 38º -40º F (3º -4º C). Transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter and continue to lower the temperature to 30º -37º F (-1º to 3º C). Lager for seven to twelve days. Rack to keg, or add bottling sugar and bottle and allow to carbonate at 50o (10o C) for two weeks minimum.

Latest posts

Back