too cold for fermentation to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I pitched us-04 yesterday into my IPA at 70 deg F. Its been about 20 hours with no (visible) activity. The Fermometer says 62 deg F on the bucket. Ambient temp in the house is ~ 62 deg F (the gas bills are killing me this winter.)

I didn't rehydrate the yeast, I sprinkled right on top of the wort once I got it settled in the brew closet.

I know it can take a while for fermentation to start, and I'm not freaking out or anything, I was just wondering if I should put a hot water bottle in the water bath to raise the temp a little.

So should I try to get the temp up a couple clicks, or should I just let it ride?

Thanks.

I thin 62 is a bit too cold. I bump up my thermostat in the house temporarilly to 78, just to get everything up and running for a couple of weeks. Plus, the family enjoys not seeing their breath as they sleep =).

I haven't used that yeast, but most will start at that temp, but it might be a bit slow going. Once they start up and start generating their own heat, 62 degrees should be pretty great. You might want to try a heating pad, space heater, or something similar to keep the beer a tad warmer (68-70) until fermentation starts.

btw, I think bpugh1975 raises the house to 68 not 78. Or maybe they wear beach clothes and act like they are in Florida. I think I hear Margaritaville in the background. :)

My house is 60, so I understand what you're going through! The good news is that ales fermented on the cooler side of the fermentation range are "cleaner" and less fruity than those fermented higher. I ferment almost all of my ales at 62 degrees, if the yeast can take it. Today, I'll be using Nottingham which works well down to 57-59 degrees.

According to Fermentis (http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/pdf/SafaleS-04.pdf), the s-04 temperature range is 59-75, so you're fine! Just wait it out. By the way, if you didn't rehydrate according to the package directions, you'll have to wait a bit longer. It's always good to follow the rehydrating instructions, to give you the optimum cell count for the yeast. If you didn't, it's no biggie, it'll just take a little longer for the yeast to get going.

Alright, good deal. Thanks for the replies.

I usually do rehydrate, but it slipped my mind, and I didn't have time to boil and cool water, then allow time for the yeast to rehydrate.

I didn't rehydrate on a couple of ciders I made before, so I figured what the hey and spinkled the yeast right in there.

Thanks again.

ack....definately 68, not 78. We aren't nudists. And after thinking about this one for a sec, I agree with YooperBrew. If you just pitched it less than 24 hours ago, you should be just fine. Patience Grasshopper.

Yeah I was wondering about the 78. Man that would feel good right now.

And I am happy to report its bubbling away right now.

Thanks again!

Yeah I was wondering about the 78. Man that would feel good right now.

And I am happy to report its bubbling away right now.

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it! And for my brew today, you talked me into using so-5, instead of the Nottingham. After reading the specs on the Fermentis sheet I posted, I thought, "heck, I want to use it today, too!" I'm about 1/2 way through the boil, so my yeast is sitting on the counter waiting for me!

Glad I saw this thread...I'm going through the exact same thing on the brew I started yesterday (my first ever!). Temp is stuck at 61 degrees, but about 20 hours later I'm getting bubbles in the airlock - I suppose we'll see what happens! If worse comes to worse, I may have to sleep next to the fermenter with a blanket around us both.

Can't wait for summer, when the basement maintains a nice 70 degree temp!

Back