Beer Side Effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone reading this post is allergic to the food preservative MSG, so I'll describe it. When I eat food with MSG, like a cheap hot dog, or certain chinese food, I get a very bad headache almost instantly, and a dull throbbing pain in my jaws. I've noticed that my first batch of beer is kind of giving me the same side effects as MSG would. I know the beer isn't green, its been bottled for three weeks, and I casn almost be sure that my batch didnt become infected/contaminated. Any thoughts on this?

not used to yeast, that seams to be the going thing. from what i have read it should go away as your body gets used to it.

I have a co-worker who drinks beer like normal people do, BMC products, etc.

Unfortunately, whenever he drinks my HB (twice now) he has an immediate allergic reaction and his throat swells and cuts off his breathing.

We joke about me having some "killer" brew, but we both know he shouldn't try any more of it.

I get similar headaches from MSG. I got a couple from my first couple batches of homebrew as well; until I started pitching my yeast at cooler temps. Maybe it was my imagination, maybe not; I haven't had a single one beyond the normal "I drank too much beer last night" headache.

gplutt - sounds like a reaction to fusel alcohols.

Yeah, that was my first thought..after the headaches..my first upgrade was from a 3/8 25 ' immersion chiller to a 1/2 50 foot chiller. Beer tastes better, too.

I have similar reactions to MSG too. I've noticed that highly hopped beers give me a headache as well as stomach issues, so I stay away from those. Maybe there was something in the ingredients? I don't want to bad mouth kits, but you really never know what's in there sometimes.

Just a point of information, MSG is a flavoring, not a preservative. The umami receptors in your tongue react to glutamate, which is common in meat, milk and cheese. If you don't get headaches from those foods, you probably aren't actually reacting to MSG.

Fusel alcohol is produced at higher brewing temps, around 26*c or 80*f, it will give you a clanger of a headache. To reduce brewing temps consider sitting the fermenter in a tray of iced water with a towel draped over it (into the water) it will produce evaporation and therefore cool the wort, refill the ice water as required. Ideal brew temps are probably below 68*c with some exceptions (eg wheat gives off a banana flavor at a warmer temp which is sometimes desired).

Back