agave mead?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safe to say that agave has the same flavor profile as grapes for white wines?

Like riesling grapes?

i actually tried what you were mentioning only i erred on measurements. i did a 50/50 water agave blend and that dang thing never stopped bubbling. it also ended up dying when i tried to stop the fermentation chemically. i also remembered that mead tasted funny to me. so, good luck and know your parts per gallon

Here is what i made back in June. Last night we sampled a bottle from the 1st half gallon(unoaked). I had an alcoholic nose to is but has a very sweet (muscat style) taste. I was amazed how much the aroma resembled tequila.
Maple-Agave Wine
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2.00 oz Oak Cubes, Hungarian (Med Toast)
1 lbs 7.5 oz Agave Nectar, Light
11.5 oz Agave Nectar, Amber (added to secondary)
8.0 oz Maple Agave Nectar (from trader joes)
2.0 oz Honey
1 Pkgs Lalvin - K1V-1116 (Lallemand - Lalvin #K1V-1116) Yeast-Wine
1 Pkgs Montrachet (Red Star) Yeast-Wine
approx ABV 10%
the second half gallon is sitting on oak for 25 days.

ok, so a delayed update on this; I made the agave mead about 4 months ago, and my floating thermometer broke in the freakin batch so i had to dump the whole thing. so pissed off. STILL!

I started a batch not too long ago, it is mostly done fermenting now. I tried some and its really good, its very light, but I used light necter. I'm going to start another batch with a darker necter. and then I'll probablle even give this darker stuff a try after that Sunfood Nutrition Agave Nectar

I put all the info from the first batch on here: Making Agave Wine

Last edited by a moderator:
Back