Overcarbed? Yea I think so, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
This is the second of two bottles I opened. I grabbed them because as I checked the bottles I could see the caps were raised, photo. It was apparent they were over carbed and the pressure was popping the top.

When I prepped for racking I dumped the priming mix into the bottom of the bottling bucket then racked on top of it. Apparently I didn't get a good mix of priming and wort.

Is the density of the priming liquid different then the wort? Will it cause issues? Suggestions?

I plan on racking and pouring the priming sugar in several times as the bucket fills. Next time.

overcarbed1.jpg

overcarbed2.jpg

You definitely need to make sure that the priming solution and the beer mix well. Usually, that doesn't take much, but if it doesn't happen you'll get exactly what you're describing. If you get a nice rotation going as the beer fills the bottling bucket that usually helps. Adding at a few different times like you mention probably will too.

Unfortunately, this also means that some of your other bottles are probably significantly undercarbed.

Racking to the bottling bucket will get more attention next time. I just took a swig of the over carbed from the bottle, holy...talk about a fizzy dance in your mouth.

Learning.

Revvy said:
How long has it been in the bottles and at what temp?

And how much priming sugar for how much beer? And what was your OG and FG?

I haven't had much trouble with boiling a cup of water with the corn sugar in it, cooling it down, adding it to the bottling bucket and racking the beer on top of it. Some folks like to stir it up but I've never done that and so far it's been good. I bring my bottles upstairs for a few weeks (about 70 degrees) and then put the cases back downstairs for storage. All of my batches have been carbed about right. Hope you can salvage a few beers from your batch!

Racking to the bottling bucket will get more attention next time. I just took a swig of the over carbed from the bottle, holy...talk about a fizzy dance in your mouth.

Learning.

You may want to read Revvys bottling sticky. It has lots of good info

I like to use a little more water than one cup when making my priming solution. I prefer to use about 2-3 cups of water to make my priming sugar solution. I just feel like this helps the sugar mix better with the beer. Some people seem to worry about "watering down" the beer with a large quantity of water in the priming mix, but I have never felt like this was a problem with any of my beers. I have always gotten a good mix, and it never seemed to cause a problem with watering down the beer, or causing a lack of body/mouthfeel.

Are you sure the cap is raised looks like you overpressed with a bench capper. How long was the bottles in the fridge?

I like to use a little more water than one cup when making my priming solution. I prefer to use about 2-3 cups of water to make my priming sugar solution. I just feel like this helps the sugar mix better with the beer. Some people seem to worry about "watering down" the beer with a large quantity of water in the priming mix, but I have never felt like this was a problem with any of my beers. I have always gotten a good mix, and it never seemed to cause a problem with watering down the beer, or causing a lack of body/mouthfeel.

I always use 2 cups of water to make the priming solution. I start siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket and dump the priming solution in after I've siphoned a bit of the beer in. Never had a problem with unmixed priming sugar. I highly doubt the 1 extra cup of water is going to water down 5 gallons of beer in any noticeable way. And I have to think you're right about it helping to mix better with the beer, since I've never had a batch come out half over carbed and half under.

How long has it been in the bottles and at what temp?

Revvy I bottled on 1/29 its been at 64-66 degrees. In the fridge for 2 days. The first couple I opened were nice, had carbonation that was fine.

My OG was 1.045 FG 1.010

I used 3/4 cup priming sugar

And yes i am certain the caps are raised.

Will be checking revvy's bottle sticky

Back