Wiring Thermostat Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennydeaton

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Control Products TC-9102D-HV Dual Stage High Voltage Digital Temperature Controller today from Amazon. I'm very excited to use it on the Fermentation Chamber I've been designing for both cooling and heating.

The trick is, its an unwired unit and I know very little about electrical work and wiring, but can follow directions very well. :) Does anyone have any tips or know of any instructions for this unit? I have read the manual and reviewed the wiring diagram, but I need a little more help. Basically I think I need to wire it to a dual receptacle (one for each stage) and then wire in a plug going to the wall.

Thanks in advance!

i know it doesn't help you now but for anybody else who doesn't wanna deal with wiring (i know i didn't, me and electronics are not best buddies) pick up one of these:

41zjbqngLjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00368D6JA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
When you wire it to the recepticle, make sure you break off the metal tab on the side or it will not work. Look at the thread for the Cheap EBay temp controller.

@MrManifesto - the a419 is nice, but its not dual stage. It does either heat or cool, not both. That's why I bought the one I got. I found a good wiring guide in a recent BYO last night. I think I've figured out what I need to do. Looks fairly straightforward.

@Sacdan - thank you, that's exactly what the BYO said to do.

@MrManifesto - the a419 is nice, but its not dual stage. It does either heat or cool, not both. That's why I bought the one I got. I found a good wiring guide in a recent BYO last night. I think I've figured out what I need to do. Looks fairly straightforward.

@Sacdan - thank you, that's exactly what the BYO said to do.

Here's the factory website on this model... http://www.controlproductsonline.com/9102-series-temperature-controllers-p-103-l-en.html

Here's the factory wiring diagram for the model you have...http://www.protectedhome.com/documents/TC9102DHV%20120%20VAC%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

It's a simple wiring design... pm me if you need help.

@MuchoGusto - thank you! I do have a few questions just to make sure I am doing it correctly and purchasing what I need for the project. I will PM you.

I purchased this controller late last year as well and it has been working great for me. There's one thing I should point out regarding the diagram from the company web site, however. I believe their diagram is backwards in that the hot line should be the one going to the relays, not the common. It will technically work either way, but if you wire it up the way the diagram illustrates, then your output plugs will always be hot, even when that stage is turned off. This is obviously less safe and not the ideal way to have it wired up.

Thanks for the tip loudawgucr!

@MuchoGusto - I have tried three times to reply to your PM but its not going through. Very odd. I will keep trying.

I bought the dual stage version of that controller, works very well. I have done elementary wiring before, and the sheer volume of wires can become confusing. I would recommend you do the following:

1. draw up a wiring diagram showing where each wire goes, and an abbreviation that makes sense for you on each end of each wire.
2. cut the wires extra long and trim them to size as you make the second connection
3. When you select wire colors, remnember black is hot, white is neutral, and green is ground. You can use whatever colors you wish, but that is the convention that keeps most people from burning their house down.
4. double check each wire after you are completely finished.

Good Luck

Both Tomsd and I have wiring diagrams for temp controllers in this thread.
Although not yours, it should help you figure out what to do. I was able to wire my ebay one based on his love diagram, and I have little electrical knowledge.

Tom's a good resource, don't hesitate to pm him if you need help.

I just bought this controller and have seen here and on amazon that a similar story is being told regarding the wiring guide. I have a single stage controller and that has the hot side going through the relays. I've looked at other dual stage controllers and the hot side goes through the relays. This unit appears to be the exception.

I've contacted Control Products to ask about the guide, but not heard back. Has anyone contacted them and heard a definitive yes or no on how to wire this thing?

Max... I believe the wiring diagram is not drawn properly. Take the screws out on the front and you can quickly determine if the hot or common lead runs through the relay.

Not to ressurrect an old thread - But here is what I did that made it work properly -

Common from power (white) to the duplex outlet (tab left in place) and other screw of outlet to the common slot. Nothing else attached to the common slot.

The hot side (black) to a pigtail with 3 leads going to the 120 VAC slot, left slot of sp1, and left slot of sp2

Right side of each relay (sp1 and sp2) to each side of a duplex outlet (tab removed)

All is working fine now, but what a poor wiring diagram.

Just wondering if anybody here knew where to obtain this controller from a Canadian source so that the $59 doesn't turn into $120 by the time it gets to my door (shipping, cust/duties)?
Also, I was reading another thread on these forums where someone said that this controller (9102d-HV) could do ANY combination of Heating/Cooling/Off... It only has one temperature probe though - right? So it's not like you could have two devices plugged into it to (for example) cool two separate things (requiring two different probes...), could you?
And could it even Cool one device and Heat a different one (obviously would require two probes..so..)?

Thanks for any information. Sorry if I'm not supposed to post in a "dead" (until June 2012 that is) thread.

Thanks again.

Someone mentioned or 'suggested' that it could be used to do any combo of cool/heat/off in anther thread here that I can't find. Thought they might find me, or someone else might know, that's all. It seems to be a pretty popular controller amongst home brewers.. when you google it you end up at a site like this.

Thanks though.

Wow guys. Glad I found this thread. I have the same thing as well but haven't wired it yet. I am pretty new to electrical work so I've got some reading to get done before I start into this.

They are fairly easy. You should have a place for the hot (usually the black wire), Common (usually the white wire) and maybe maybe not a ground in the controller, You will then have 2 sets of "dry contacts" for stage one and two. Take the hot wire from the 120 volt terminal and jumper it to one side of however many stages you plan to use. From the other side of those stages take another black wire to feed however your feeding (receptacles or cord caps).

Think of it like this to help understand the two stages are just two unwired light switches to which you need to take a hot wire and a switch leg.

They are fairly easy. You should have a place for the hot (usually the black wire), Common (usually the white wire) and maybe maybe not a ground in the controller, You will then have 2 sets of "dry contacts" for stage one and two. Take the hot wire from the 120 volt terminal and jumper it to one side of however many stages you plan to use. From the other side of those stages take another black wire to feed however your feeding (receptacles or cord caps).

Think of it like this to help understand the two stages are just two unwired light switches to which you need to take a hot wire and a switch leg.

Thanks. This is my project for this weekend. So we shall see.

If any of you need help send me a PM and I'll send you my cell number. If there is ANY doubt call and ask BEFORE you plug it in.

Wow guys. Glad I found this thread. I have the same thing as well but haven't wired it yet. I am pretty new to electrical work so I've got some reading to get done before I start into this.

I have one and wired it right on the first try. So, it is possible.

It's not easy at all. They could give you more room, that's for sure. Be very neat with your work. Don't use bulky cords (ugh... I did). Get some smallish wire nuts for connecting it all together inside.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Post any problems or questions and I'll reply here.

I did not use a separate box. I did all wiring inside the controller. An external box would have made it easier, but it's not necessary (man, I really like the way Greenhaze did his... good idea!). Make sure to strain relief the wires inside the box or they could be pulled from the terminal blocks.

2012-11-26-at-221414-57588.jpg

For heating I plug in a small heater into one side and set that to heat when it drops to certain temp.
Right now I am conditioning a Belgium wit and a honey Weizen. I have freezer unplugged and a small heater inside the freezer controlled by the controller. When the temp drops to 69 the heater kicks in and kicks off at 71. Works great.
Slainte

For heating I plug in a small heater into one side and set that to heat when it drops to certain temp.
Right now I am conditioning a Belgium wit and a honey Weizen. I have freezer unplugged and a small heater inside the freezer controlled by the controller. When the temp drops to 69 the heater kicks in and kicks off at 71. Works great.
Slainte

My fermentation fridge is in the garage. Florida winters see 80 in the day and often 50 at night. I need both heat and cold all the time right now (for ales).

passedpawn said:
My fermentation fridge is in the garage. Florida winters see 80 in the day and often 50 at night. I need both heat and cold all the time right now (for ales).

I'm in Southern California right now day temp are 68, night temps 40. My freezer is also in the garage so I only need to use a heater.
Slainte

I've had this one now for a month or so and wired it similar to the way Passedpawn did. If you go to their website, you can find a much better wiring diagram which helps show exactly what to do.

Intimnasc said:

This is exactly what I did.

Has anyone considered using an electronic aquarium controller. The have the same amperage rating as the "usual" one, but the difference is right at $50.00. If I am wrong on this please let me know.

Has anyone considered using an electronic aquarium controller. The have the same amperage rating as the "usual" one, but the difference is right at $50.00. If I am wrong on this please let me know.

Are you talking about an STC-1000 ebay temp controller, the kind you can get for about 25 bucks? There's only a million threads about that on here including This One.

Are you talking about an STC-1000 ebay temp controller, the kind you can get for about 25 bucks? There's only a million threads about that on here including This One.

Revvy,
Maybe the other thread wasn't found by me, or someone else. If I had found the other thread, I might not have posted. I'm still new here, please don't verbally assault me for something you knew and I didn't.

Revvy,
Maybe the other thread wasn't found by me, or someone else. If I had found the other thread, I might not have posted. I'm still new here, please don't verbally assault me for something you knew and I didn't.

Who's verbally assaulting you, I was pointing out that there's a lot of threads on that topic, now that you know it exists.

Geez...... :rolleyes: If I wasn't trying to be helpful, do you think I would have actually BOTHERED TO SEARCH FOR THE THREAD FOR YOU AND LINK IT?

Who's verbally assaulting you, I was pointing out that there's a lot of threads on that topic, now that you know it exists.

Geez...... :rolleyes: If I wasn't trying to be helpful, do you think I would have actually BOTHERED TO SEARCH FOR THE THREAD FOR YOU AND LINK IT?

Revvy,
I was wrong, I apologize. I didn't see the link until now. I really do appreciate the insight and wisdom from the experienced members. One of the most important things I have learned the hard way is, to not dump a batch if the flavor I wanted wasn't there. Yet. I dumped 1/2 of 1 batch, once the other half turned out just fine, so I will have to be patient from now on. Thanks to everyone.

Here was my experience. I tried in vain to use the existing hot and neutral feeds from the previous temperature controller on my Emerson 4.6 fridge. Finally decided to add a separate power supply just for the controller and simply connect the fridge wiring to the normally open relay, and now everything works. Probably not the optimal setup, but it's nice to finally see both the controller and the compressor on at the same time.

I purchased the TC-9102D-HV some months ago... before winter here in Colorado Springs where my garage has been as cold as my kegerator, and I have yet wired it and got it running. The one question I have is to those that have this in use, do you have the incoming power hard wired to the controller or so you have it on a plug and connected to an outlet?

I have three external controllers, a pair of Ranco single-stages and a Love TSS2 dual stage (<= big fan). All of them have 14ga power cords in, the two Rancos have 14ga cords out, while the TSS2 is in a hobby box with a 20A duplex outlet.

I could have hard-wired any or all of them, but as I have two fridges, a keezer and a ferm cabinet in my brewery I wanted to be able to move them around when needed...

Cheers!

Back