please reassure me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
so i decided that even though i am majoring in construction the i want to own a brewery. so lately i have been cranking out my batches and some have been amazing ans some just pretty crappy. i just want to rant because today two batches finished. a blond and stout, which last time was good and now both taste ok. im just frustrated and i was wondering if this happens to everyone often?

To own a brewery I would be much more concerned about the business aspect of it than the brewing. I am sure many people on here brew beer that is quite good, and even better than that of the commercial guys. I am probably average at best, and have only brewed 4 batches, but one of my batches was as good as some beers I have bought.

Now running a profitable business, that is something that I haven't done. It is much harder.

On a second hand, you wanted reassurance. So you can do it!

I don't think I'd worry too much about opening a brewery until you can nail the repeatability factor. I think most of us would love to open a brewery, but it's a headache, lots a money, and something like 75% of new breweries fail within the first year. Repeatabilty is tough to accomplish at a homebrew level. With the right equipment it gets easier...but equipment doesn't do everything.

I don't often brew the same batch twice. There are a few family favorites that I do once or twice a year, but Ive been brewing for years now and still can't get them perfectly matched. Close, but not perfect.

It all comes down to nailing your system efficiencies (I'm assuming you've moved to AG if you're concidering owning a brewery) and keeping your temps constant. Take great notes (write down EVERYTHING) and it gets easier. There's a lot more to it than efficiency and temps, but those are the two big ones.

As Cford pointed out though...get a business degree. If you really want to brew...then be a brewer. If you want to own a brewery, I suggest hiring a brewer. Most people can't do both. It's not impossible if you have no family, but it's a lot of work.

thanks guys,
i have been repeating batches and hitting my OG its just lately i have been getting batches that turn out weird. i just made the O'Flanagan stout, and honestly i followed it directly and i am getting some weird metallic after taste. i don't know what it could be. i sanitize well but i cant figure out what is going wrong.

if it could be my equipment i have a plummed (copper) herms rig. so could it be from my rig?

oh and the brewery is the least of my concerns right now, i was just trying to explain how serious i have gotten into brewing

What kind of kettle are you using? Also, how are your grains stored. I've read that poorly stored grains can cause a metallic flavor, but can't testify to it as I've never poorly stored my grains. The only other thing that can cause those flavors are metals dissolving into the wort. I brewed with an aluminum pot for a year or two before I stepped up my system, but I never had any problems with it. Maybe if it's badly scratched or the protective coating has worn off....

oh i have two Italian kettles and a keggle for my mash tun. all plumed. i think what need to happen is it is about time to disassemble everything and maybe do a really good cleaning. im also debating on going all stainless.

my grains are purchased from the LHBS

Back