How long for a heffe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
I know golden rule is let it age (within reason), but my experience with heffewiezen beers is that often they are best a little younger than other beers. I just transfered 10 gallons from primary to secondary, and plan on letting it sit for about a week in secondary. Then my plan is to go to the keg, set at serving pressure to slowly carbonate, and not try/touch it for about two weeks.

Any words of wisdom here, or practical experience with heffewiezens and when they are best??

You don't need or want to secondary a heffe at all...the purpose of secondary is to clear you beer. which you Don't want to do at all for the,...they're supposed to have yeast in suspension.

On the 7th day after you have krauzen (not necessarily the day you pitch the yeast- if there's lag time), or bubbling of the airlock IF it bubbles, take a hydro reading...then skip a day and take another reading....if they are the same go ahead an bottles...

In other words with a heffe when your fermentation has TOTALLY STOPPED based on at least two consequitive hydrometer readings, you can go ahead an bottle.

Then after about three weeks at 70 degrees (maybe even 2) you can drink it...

Hefe's are meant to be drunk young.

go ahead and stir up your secondary really good, then bottle it.
or keg it.

if you're kegging, might be good to give that thing a shake every week or so just to keep it in suspension.

I tend to do a heffe when I need a beer quick for something. quick ferment, no secondary, roll the keg and pressurize it high to carbonate.

go ahead and stir up your secondary really good, then bottle it.
or keg it.

if you're kegging, might be good to give that thing a shake every week or so just to keep it in suspension.

I tend to do a heffe when I need a beer quick for something. quick ferment, no secondary, roll the keg and pressurize it high to carbonate.

Oh crap I missed the part about you already secondarying..yeah do what dave said, but first make sure it is at terminal gravity to avoid bottle bombs, then stir it up and bottle it.

Oh crap I missed the part about you already secondarying..yeah do what dave said, but first make sure it is at terminal gravity to avoid bottle bombs, then stir it up and bottle it.

Apparently you missed the part about him kegging it also ;) No worry about bottle bombs there.

I've got my Roter Hund Hefe just started yesterday. I pitched at 5:30 pm and this morning when I went to see if I would need a blow off it had already blown about a half gallon onto the basement floor. I plan on 10 days ferment, 10 days keg condition.

Apparently you missed the part about him kegging it also ;) No worry about bottle bombs there.

I've got my Roter Hund Hefe just started yesterday. I pitched at 5:30 pm and this morning when I went to see if I would need a blow off it had already blown about a half gallon onto the basement floor. I plan on 10 days ferment, 10 days keg condition.

Yeah, well I'm getting old and my eyes are getting to me....:D

I'm getting to that I need a blank line between each sentence these days.

Im going to bottle my Hefe this weekend. I started it on July 9 with No Secondary.
I just waited for the Krausen to clear and drop to the bottom. The top of my Primary is pretty clear and free of Krausen now.

Latest posts

Back