Mixed up Hop Schedule...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N1CKOLAS

Reaction score
Hi all, pretty new to the homebrew scene. I made my first noob mistake...

Batch #2 is a english style porter. All was going well until I realized after finishing my boil that I had mixed up the hops schedule...

The recipe called for Bullion Hop Pellets for bittering and Fuggles Hop Pellets for finishing. I completely mixed this up. In your experience with these hops, is this going to be too bitter of a beer? Maybe I just need to let this one sit for a while to let the hops fade? Thanks for your help!

Fuggles are a low alpha finishing hop. So it will not be as bitter as it should be. When did you add the Bullion?

I added the Bullion 20 at the last 20 minutes. The Fuggles was added once my wort came to a rolling boil (the start of my 60 minute boil).

You should still get some IBU's from the Bullion at 20minutes. . You can also plug your recipe into beersmith to get your estimated IBU's which will give you a better idea of if its going to be bitter enough. Don't worry too much about it, it will probably taste fine

Bullion generally is a higher AA hop than Fuggles, so if the quantities were about the same, the IBUs will be lower.

Bullion is mostly used as a bittering hop, but it has a black currant aroma which sounds fine in a porter.

Back