killed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
hey everyone, im currently boiling my brew right now (dont worry, no boilovers will happen, have a person on it right now)...the only problem, i tried to do a starter yeast, and i think i did it at a too high temperature, let it sit for like 20 min, and it did jack ****, so i knew it was dead...can i go ahead with the process, put it in the carboy, let it sit and buy new yeast within the next couple days and pitch it in there? please help with this, any reccomendations will help...but the wort smells fabulous right now! thanks for any help with this.

i used nottinghams dried yeast...after 20 min, there was no activity whatsoever, and all the yeast was sitting at the bottom of the cup...the mix was like 115 deg. when i mixed it, i made a mistake with this i know...but what i need to know is if i can still buy like a white labs yeast within the next 2 days or so, put it in the fermenter with the wort, stir it around a lil, and then ferment...is that a problem?

i did exactly what john palmer said to do in his online book...i did the 1 cup pre boiled water, then added the yeast (this is when i killed it accidently)...then rehydrated it with a sugar/water mix...which would be the fermentable part (i didnt have any dry malt extract with me, so palmer suggested regular sugar)...would it be fine though to add the wort to the carboy, wait till i get the yeast, then add the yeast and then start fermenting? thanks

Go ahead and chuck it all in. If you don't see any activity definately add more yeast. 115 is high, but it might not have killed the yeast.

ok, thanks for the advice...so itll be fine sitting in the carboy waiting for the yeast though? im gonna get the white labs yeast probly so i can just pitch it in...so can i shake the carboy slightly to get all the yeast properly distributed when i add it in?

ok thanks so much for the advice...ill keep up to date with when i add the yeast and fermentation beings...best regards!

Good luck! It's all stuff you learn over time. I was there only two years ago, and now I'm pontificating like it's going out of style! :D Meanwhile some of the real pros around here still amaze me. Keep it up! :rockin:

115 will probably kill the yeast, i think i killed mine using tap water, so i just threw in a new packet not warming it up, worked so far.

Back