3711...well behaved but overrated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I love most belgian beers, especially saisons. But I feel like wyeast 3711 gets all of its credit based on its ease of use instead of its flavor profile. I've done two saisons with this yeast now and let's just say I'm surprised by its lack of complexity. I do like the mouthfeel though.

I pitched both times at 65 and ramped to 74 over the course of one week. Both beers finished close to 1.002 which is amazing. This is the only saison yeast I've used, but I think its time for us to go our separate ways.

To each his own... I have not found 3711 to be all that inferior to 3724 (this has been hashed out ad nauseum in numerous threads). I write this post with a glass of 3724 Saison at hand. Yes, the flavor profile of 3724 is superior to 3711 but...3724 is the Sybil of yeasts. Some times it will cooperate and give you a finished product in 4-6 weeks but only after going to the hydro repeatedly because you will most likely be stuck around 1.030 particularly if you are using a 1st gen. Other times it will drag on for 8+ weeks for no rhyme or reason. I have used this yeast 20+ times in a home brewing setting, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen and it is always a crapshoot. Whereas, with 3711, I pitch it and 3-4 weeks later I have finished product, no babysitting, no worries and the flavor is pretty good. I am looking forward to the day that Wyeast or White Labs comes up with a yeast that gives you the flavor profile of 3724 with the ease of use of 3711. Perhaps the PC Farmhouse Ale is the answer...

I find using 3711 at such low temps mutes a lot of the flavours the yeast produces. If you ferment it into the 80s it creates a very nice tasting saison.

I like to think of 3711 as a very versatile yeast, depending how you use it, you can coax all sorts of things out of it. Whether you want a cleaner profile from fermenting lower, or a spicy citrusy profile from going higher, underpitching to bring out some fruitiness.

I find using 3711 at such low temps mutes a lot of the flavours the yeast produces. If you ferment it into the 80s it creates a very nice tasting saison.

I like to think of 3711 as a very versatile yeast, depending how you use it, you can coax all sorts of things out of it. Whether you want a cleaner profile from fermenting lower, or a spicy citrusy profile from going higher, underpitching to bring out some fruitiness.

What's your typical temp schedule? Do you pitch cool and let it ramp up into the 80's or do you pitch warm?

I feel like wyeast 3711 gets all of its credit based on its ease of use instead of its flavor profile. I've done two saisons with this yeast now and let's just say I'm surprised by its lack of complexity. I do like the mouthfeel though [...] This is the only saison yeast I've used, but I think its time for us to go our separate ways.

It's like you're stealing the words from my own experience. Couldn't agree more. The idea of starting with the SdP strain and finishing with the 3711 seems like the best of both worlds: speedy, carefree attenuation and superior flavor/aroma.

I think 3711 is for people who want a fail proof saison, you toss it in, it will ferment anything, but it does not have the same flavor. A blend of 3724 and 3711 is probably the best of both worlds, more flavor, less headache. I have tried East Coast Yeast 08, a blend of 3724, 3711, and I believe the Fantome sacc strain. Works like a champ, easy to use, lots of flavor. I will keep going back to that for Saisons.

I've used it 3 times. Very disappointed with it. Made good beer, just not great.

Back