English Barley Wine Recipe - Any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lie2vaRK

Reaction score
So I have only brewed a couple of extract kits and decided that I wanted to brew a pretty hearty English Barley Wine that would be ready for 2010's holiday season, and this is the first time I decided to create my own recipe. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 gallon batch
Steeping for 30 min ~155 F
60 min boil
Primary Fermentor 1-2 wks
Secondary 4 mnths
Bottle Condition till 2010 Holiday season

Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.33 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 83.63 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.46 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.46 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.46 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (45 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] (30 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [3.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

Lallemand Nottingham Ale Yeast 11g

Est OG 1.113
Est FG 1.026
Est IBU's 57.1

Thanks.
Lie2vaRK

The Chinook/Cascade is a little out of place here but I think the bigger issue is that the IBU is low. My version was calculated at 85 IBU and you wouldn't even know it had hops in it. You might want to back up the Chinook addition to 60 minute. You can also hold back 10 pounds of extract until T-15 Minutes to increase utilization.

The Chinook/Cascade is a little out of place here but I think the bigger issue is that the IBU is low. My version was calculated at 85 IBU and you wouldn't even know it had hops in it. You might want to back up the Chinook addition to 60 minute. You can also hold back 10 pounds of extract until T-15 Minutes to increase utilization.

I was using BeerSmith and wanted to stay true to the English Barley Wine Style, and it said not to exceed 70 IBUS, but if you couldn't even taste it, I'll have to increase that. Also, why do you think the Chinook/Cascade is out of place, and what would you do? Trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for your help.

Cascade is an American Citrus-y hop and the flavor/aroma would be out of place in an English Barleywine. You'd want to go with a English style hop like Fuggles, Goldings, Challenger, etc, etc.

Chinook is a Goldings cross so it *might* be ok but has too much of a harsh bite IMO to use for an English style beer. When you think of chinook, think Arrogant Bastard.

Your IBUs are fine for the style. Barley wines are about malt, first and foremost. The bittering is there to balance the residual sweetness.

Chinook/Cascade are not English hops and will give citrus notes to the beer. If you want to use those hops, I'd cut the Chinook to 1/2 ounce and put it in at 60 minutes, move the Cascade to 45 and split the Fuggle at 30 and 15 minutes.

You are going to need a huge starter.

Back