3 months fermenting....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satanta

Reaction score
I have two batches-one a simple apple/honey/spice and the other a mesquite/honey. Both have been frementing for about three months with two rackings.

Last racking was weenend before T-Day and they are continuing to bubble. Extremely slow but still going.

Are you asking if that's ok?

If so, we need a recipe, SG and current SG. More than likely it will be fine, but proper nutrient additions should help with a quicker cleaner fermentation. But some brews will just take longer. Honey in general ferments much slower than other sugars. Nature of the beast.

Also, is this a wine, sounds like you meant to put this in the mead section.

Can't give an SG...even with glasses can no longer read the lines on the dang thing.

I ssuppose it could be considered a mead. Never gave it much thought and since an ex-GF gor me into making 'wine' that is what I have always called it.

Recipe, recipe...bunch of crushed and boiled mesquite parts. [[:D]], some honey-couple of those little bear-shaped bottles in a gallon and enough water to make a gallon.

One gallon natural apple cider and two bottles of honey. All spice to smell.

I mentioned it elsewhere-I am the Dr. Frankenstein of Wine.

Will be putting up some cactus wine using regular sugar for the first batch next week.

The stuff going tastes fine-still sweet tho.

Just wondering how long this is going to take. I suppose I can copy this over to the mead section.

Sounds like you needed yeast nutrients. Everything I've read says that a properly nutrient rich must will ferment out in 30 days. You may get some off flavors from the yeast, good or bad, from having the yeast be as stressed as they are.

You could add some yeast nutrient and degass at the same time to mix the nutrient into solution.

I mentioned it elsewhere-I am the Dr. Frankenstein of Wine.

Oh Ya? You ever met my friend TOOMANYCOLORS?

It looks like a problem with not enough aeration and not enough nutrients. Perhaps you could find someone to help you take a gravity reading. Perhaps you could add some nutrient and energizer now...however it may be too late...you may need to wait it out. Yeast? I assume you used some...what kind? It will likely finish....eventually.

The yeast is Red Star Montrachet.

Aeration? I thought air was bad or have I missed something in my readings.

I am looking into yeast nutrition...I am in San Antonio and have not found a Homebrew place here even using Google so have no way to talk to someone about what to use and *really* do not wish to pay $5 shipping for a $2 purchase. [[Checked a coupple places online this A.M.]]

Wine and mead musts need oxygen during the fermentation. Too much CO2 can actually impede the fermentation process.

Latest posts

Back