1 barrel stout tank build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't post more than one pic

image.jpg

Hoping someone can help with chugger pump priming issue. If I put in an air relief valve where should it be? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Yea I can't get the pump to prime from hlt to mash and mash to boil kettle. But goes right through the herms coil like a champ. Could this be because I have air in the lines. I flood them first and they only pump up to a certain point. Not sure what to do other than adding air relief valves.

Subscribed. Great build, I'm in the middle of my 1BBL Brutus build. (I thought my stand was giant at 76"x25"x28") How do you like the BG14 burners? I have 3 of them sitting I'm boxes waiting for me. I need to get my stand back to the welder. I really wish I could weld stainless lol. Now you have me rethinking my kettle purchase (haven't pulled the trigger yet) Hope you get your pump issues worked out, I asked for 2 Chugger pumps for my birthday. Good luck, looking forward to seeing the progress..ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397601950.974146.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Subscribed. Great build, I'm in the middle of my 1BBL Brutus build. (I thought my stand was giant at 76"x25"x28") How do you like the BG14 burners? I have 3 of them sitting I'm boxes waiting for me. I need to get my stand back to the welder. I really wish I could weld stainless lol. Now you have me rethinking my kettle purchase (haven't pulled the trigger yet) Hope you get your pump issues worked out, I asked for 2 Chugger pumps for my birthday. Good luck, looking forward to seeing the progress..View attachment 193467

Thanks for the compliments, haven't used the bg 14 yet on the new rig. But we use it on the old system and it works great. Now that I think about it I wish I would have went stainless on the stand but oh well. If you haven't bought kettles yet I would highly suggest stout tanks these things are amazing. Why do you need to bring your stand back to the welder? The only thing I can say is lower is better especially at 1 barrel size these kettles are tall. Good luck on your build bro.

Thanks, I have to bring my stand back to the welder because I'm changing the top configuration. I'm adding kettle supports for the brewers hardware BG14 mounts I got. The new design allows extra air flow, I didn't want to have issues so I changed it. As far as the kettles.. If I bought the stout kettles I would have to sell one of my kids lol I want to finish this system soon, I need to find a more reasonable priced kettle. I'm thinking of 2 bayou classic 40 gallon kettles (HLT, MLT) and a 46 gallon kettle for the boil. Are you going to be using grill propane tanks for your stand? If you want to see my plans in depth my thread. Be warned it's a mess, I was planning on buying a system at first then changed my mind to build one. Lol https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=447930

Well hopefully you get that beast finished soon. I'm gonna use 40 lb propane tanks for now if they freeze up ill stick them in water. I'm glad I built my rig and didn't buy one, that takes all the fun out of it. I'll be watching your build. Cheers bro

Finally got this beast painted up today. Took the whole thing apart. Cleaned it then painted. Then reassembled. It came out pretty good I think. Waiting on a couple parts from more beer and brewers hardware. Big brew day on Sunday. Cheers

image.jpg

What kind of paint did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just went with the rustoleum 2000 degree paint from home depot. I guess we will see if it holds up. Not to worried with the heat shield from brewers hardware. How's the finger holding up?

Any primer? I was thinking the flat red.

Used the self etching primer for steel. I was pretty happy with it. I used about four cans to do the whole thing. Are u ready for paint? When is your first brew day gonna happen?

Sweet build!

Can I ask why you mounted the pumps so far back?

I guess there was no real reason why I mounted them there I guess because I had the stainless shelf on hand. At first I was gonna make it a drawer that slid out of the back of the stand but I got lazy and mounted them like this. So far it's working good. Thanks for the compliments.

I have a 1BBl system (40G) mash tun and we empty it by hand, like we pick it up and take it to the garden.

Yea I can't get the pump to prime from hlt to mash and mash to boil kettle. But goes right through the herms coil like a champ. Could this be because I have air in the lines. I flood them first and they only pump up to a certain point. Not sure what to do other than adding air relief valves.

I hate to tell you this now that the sweet looking panel is cut and finished, but you need the outputs of the pumps to face up not down. Pointing them down is a surefire way to get frequent air locks.

I hate to tell you this now that the sweet looking panel is cut and finished, but you need the outputs of the pumps to face up not down. Pointing them down is a surefire way to get frequent air locks.

Wow I never knew that either.. I guess it's a 50/50 chance and I was lucky enough to see this right before mounting my pumps. Thanks

Duffy & Sons Brewing DuffyBeer.com

Latest posts

Back