Malt ext ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
ok...sort of new to brewing (only a few months, mostly kits). so i found a Pale Ale recipe online and it called for like 6.6 lbs of pale liquid malt ext and like 1 or 2 lbs of dry malt ext. then reading around on here everyone seems to go with dry over liquid...i wouldnt mind giving it a try, so can i just say 6.6 lbs of LME is the same as 6.6lbs of DME? sorry, sort of new at this thing

I have never used dry. I live real near a home brew supply so I always get liquid. They are both extracts, but the dry has to go through another step. I don't know if the quantities used are the same. Just find a good recipe (lots on this forum) and use what the experienced have used. Liquid is cheaper if you are close enough to pick up, but dry ships better if you have to order online.

The quantities change a bit. Since there is some water in the LME, you use a bit more. I think it's 1 pound LME equals .75 pounds of DME. So, you'd use less DME. I'd use 5.5 pounds of DME for 6.6 pounds LME, since they're nice round numbers.

lme yields a lower specific gravity than dme ( i believe). but i think that mabe the only difference.

i believe the reason for the 'mixed' recipe quantities is due to the availability of LME in 1.5Kg (3.3lbs) packages from brewshops that are not really full service brewshops and only carry prepackaged extract. Add to this that DME is slightly more expensive than LME, so to achieve the desired OG they will use LME in 1.5Kg multiples and add DME to finish it. Of course at any decent brewshop you can buy however much LME you want or convert to the DME.

THanks for all the tips! this site will be very helpful in my future brewing haha

yea i just finished my second experimental batch using dme instead of liquid and i gotta say for all my future recipes im going with dme. i had longer active fermentations and clean finishing tastes. granted im new to brewing ive only done 10 batches since this winter but i can't see the benefits of liquid over dry granted i wanted to make big hoppy abv beers and i hate sweetness :cross:
for now all my ipas will be dme until i can get an all grain setup constructed this winter in the garage

sweet! i was about to brew this sunday when i realized i didnt have another air lock. my carboy has a IPA in it currently, and i was goign to start the PA in the bucket and keep them going, add onto my chiller to have 2 different chambers...and then it hit me...damn, i only have one air lock. at least i didnt get it started then realize it.

Evan said:
sweet! i was about to brew this sunday when i realized i didnt have another air lock. my carboy has a IPA in it currently, and i was goign to start the PA in the bucket and keep them going, add onto my chiller to have 2 different chambers...and then it hit me...damn, i only have one air lock. at least i didnt get it started then realize it.
Airlocks are cheap, just pick up a bunch of them. I always keep an extra bung & airlock for every fermenting vessel, cheap insurance in case something happens to one and you can get your beer covered up again quickly.

haha, anothe evan...dont see to many evan's around. well normally on other forums i belong to (mostly mustang related, i'm a car nut) i use Dumpweed, long story, and no i'm not a pot head haha...but yeah..hmmm, sorry but i think i'll stick with Evan. lol, hope its alright

Back