Keezer collar glue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa1126

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask you all what you think is the best glue? I have read people use construction caulk like liquid nails but I have also read about people building with silicon caulk and just letting it set. What do you all recommend from experience?

Cheers,
Steve

Liquid nails is GREAT for applying thin flat sheet like beadboard to a wall... Using it as a glue... not so great. Go to a good hardware store or woodworking store and get some TightBond III or Gorilla Glue. Either should be GREAT for bonding and will hole up to the moisture.

Oh... Wait. Are we talking about the glue for the mitered joints or fixing it to the freezer itself? I think I got all bass-ackwards on my thinking...

Yeah I'm just talking collar --> freezer. I think I will go with the silicon as it would be the easiest to remove and start over.

The gorilla glue was awesome when putting the collar together. I just need another coat or two of polyurethane and then it is going on the freezer. My temp controller is supposed to be out on my porch waiting for me :rockin:

Ha. Wish I would've read this a couple hours ago. I already had silicone but thought it might not quite do it so I went and bought a toothpaste tube of liquid nails. Attached collar to freezer about 4 hours ago. It's already a very strong bond. I bought the little tube because the caulking gun size liquid nails was labelled differently and said it was not recommended for plastic.

Titebond is the best for wood/wood connections, it is less messy then Gorilla Glue. For wood/plastic silicone or Goop works great.

Well, I suspect my freezer will die long before I ever have to worry about the holding power of the Liquid Nails on the collar. If not, I owe you a Coke! :mug:

I thought the same thing but a year later, I was trying to get the liquid nails off of the oak. Turns out some piano wire and prying the wood slightly makes quick work of the liquid nails.

I thought the same thing but a year later, I was trying to get the liquid nails off of the oak. Turns out some piano wire and prying the wood slightly makes quick work of the liquid nails.

Are you gunning for a free soda too?!?!?

Hey, if it comes off it comes off. It's a pretty common way of attaching a collar. Two years in and no problems so far. Of course, the silicon bead I ran on the inside of the collar to seal it would also have to fail at the same time. I'm certainly not going to hack it all to pieces at this point based on anecdotal evidence that it is doomed.

Are you gunning for a free soda too?!?!?

Hey, if it comes off it comes off. It's a pretty common way of attaching a collar. Two years in and no problems so far. Of course, the silicon bead I ran on the inside of the collar to seal it would also have to fail at the same time. I'm certainly not going to hack it all to pieces at this point based on anecdotal evidence that it is doomed.

Not at all. I just figure in the future if someone stumbles across this thread after their chest freezer dies, they will know one way to get the liquid nails apart from the wood.

I did not use glue. Instead I added a lip to the front and back of the collar that extends about 6" in the back and 3 in the front. It's a tight fit and it is not going to move anywhere. I did add a bead of caulk to all joints. It is airtight.

Not at all. I just figure in the future if someone stumbles across this thread after their chest freezer dies, they will know one way to get the liquid nails apart from the wood.

Ah, I misread your original post. I thought you were saying you removed the collar from a working freezer because you had an issue with the Liquid Nails.

Personally, I'll probably just take off all the hardware and build another collar if that happens. Not sure I'm ambitious enough to rip off and recycle the old one! :mug:

I am going to put the collar on this weekend. Did you all put something heavy on top of the collar to press it down or just set it in place and let the glue do its work?

I still don't know if this thread is about glue for the collar build or glue to hold the collar to the freezer lol

I used Elmer's wood glue to build the collar. I did also drill small holes and use nails for extra strength. I drilled holes so I wouldn't cause stress on the wood.

I don't use anything to hold the collar to the freezer. I put down a strip of window or door weatherstrip and put the collar on top of that. It is air tight and it doesn't move an inch. Unless you are throwing open the lid or shaking it like crazy you shouldn't need to glue it to the freezer.

I still don't know if this thread is about glue for the collar build or glue to hold the collar to the freezer lol

I used Elmer's wood glue to build the collar. I did also drill small holes and use nails for extra strength. I drilled holes so I wouldn't cause stress on the wood.

I don't use anything to hold the collar to the freezer. I put down a strip of window or door weatherstrip and put the collar on top of that. It is air tight and it doesn't move an inch. Unless you are throwing open the lid or shaking it like crazy you shouldn't need to glue it to the freezer.

So you glued the collar to the weatherstrip?

I used Loctite clear caulk at the advice of another keezer builder

It worked great and dried clear so no signs of anything... And used it to seal seams on inside as well...
Good stuff! Much better looking than messy gorilla glue!

100% Silicone. It's more than sufficient to hold the collar on and it helps seal as well. And it can be removed later without damage to the freezer if you want to revert it back.

I had help making my collar. It fits snug and is pretty much perfect all the way around. My works well because the lip all the way around dips in so I made the collar do the same thing so it can't slide which is why I didn't need to glue it. The weatherstrip worked perfectly.

Did you guys take the rubber seal off the lid before sealing to the collar? Or just put the silicone/glue on the collar and set the lid on as is. I need to attach it so the collar comes up with the lid since I realized lifting the kegs over the collar is getting old like me.

I attached collar to base rather than to lid

But if I were attaching to lid I would prob remove rubber seal and try to put it on bottom of collar for a good seal

This represents one of reasons I chose not to do it that way
Less modifications required...

But I'm not concerned about the extra six inches of lifting the keg

When I was building mine my Dad was helping me out since he has all the power tools. He was adamant that wood-glue was what you wanted to use, and that it was incredibly strong and would bond to the freezer fine. Lets just say we wasted an entire weekend.

So after I cleaned that off I went back to my original idea of Liquid Nails and it's bullet-proof.

I attached mine to the lid. I bought some weather-strip at Home Depot to put on the bottom of the wood-collar for a seal.

I went with silicon sealant. Guess what? It works great. So great I can pick up the empty freezer by the collar and have it hang. Why did I try this? My damn collar was about 1/6" too small- must've shifted while gluing it together and the lid didn't close all the way.

I started on a new collar this evening using some much higher quality wood this time. I went with 2x6 instead of 2x4 as most of that wood is trash from home depot.

Note to collar builders- drill your tap shank holes before applying stain and polyurethane; it is a lot easier and will save you touch up time.

Time for a beer :)

Back