Removing Ring Clip from Keg question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
Im trying to convert a half keg for mashing. The first step is to remove the ring clip. I have read you just use a nail or screw driver. Well, it bent the nail and broke the screw driver. My question is do I need to do this? If I'm cutting the top off anyways why cant I just leave keg spear in place? It will come out when I cut the top off right? Thanks for the input.

Yepp just cut the top, the spear will follow. Some people like to take to spear out so they can fill it will water or they want to make a jig that sits in the hole. May make the job easier but not necessary.

Thanks kpr. I know I've read that some people like to save it for future use but at this point I just need a much bigger brew pot. I have another keg that will be arriving in a few days so maybe I will save that one. Do you have any preference as far as welding the spigot and site glass vs weldless spigot and site glass? I think finding someone to weld might not be that easy in this area.

I put a large slotted screwdriver against my bench grinder to give it a thin edge. Works great for removing snap ring. I labeled it my "keg tool" with a sharpie.

But yea no need to removed. Just make sure you release the pressure by sticking a screwdriver (or tap) through the ball.

Did that last night. Thanks for the reminder though. Would have been a disaster otherwise.

Latest posts

Back