Beersmith settings for Coleman Xtreme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I just bought Beersmith today, and I'm in the process of setting up an equipment profile for my setup. Here's what I've entered:

Mash tun volume : 36 qt.

Mash tun weight : 10 lb. (not sure on this, just guessing)

Mash tun material : .3 plastic (preset option closest to reality)

Lauter tun deadspace: .25 gallons (there's very little I think, so I just guessed about 1 quart. I bet it's actually quite a bit less than this.)

If anyone else with the 36 qt. Coleman Xtreme uses Beersmith, and has more accurate numbers based on past experience, I'd really be thankful if you shared it. Thanks!

I don't use Beersmith, but it's fairly simple to measure your lauter tun deadspace. Fill the water level to just above the manifold, open the valve to drain, close the valve, and pour the remaining liquid into a measuring bowl. My cooler had more than I anticipated by eyeballing, and it's a 50qt. cube.

I use a SS braid, and deadspace losses are essentially nil, as near as I can tell. Some loss to the grain, but that's it. I haven't set up any special equipment details on Beersmith, I just know that I need my strike water to be about two or three degrees hotter than they propose for a single-infusion mash and I'm generally spot-on (I preheat the cooler).

Back