Decant or not??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gropo

Reaction score
I thought I was going to brew today, but it looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow. I prepared a 1 liter starter yesterday midday. Will it be OK if it sits for another 24 hours, or should I decant? It'll be at or just beyond the 48 hour mark if I let it ride. If I decant, should I prepare another little batch of starter wort for it tonight, or just add a little boiled/cooled water to dilute the yeast sediment tomorrow before pitching?

Don't do anything yet. Just stick it in the fridge. Tomorrow when you brew, you can decant just prior to pitching.

I recently read an article written by Jamil in one of the brewing magazines stating to decant then add wort to the starter a few hours before pitching. Then pitch the whole starter. I followed his method with a lager and had airlock activity within 2 hours of pitching.

Throw it in the fridge, like frazier said. Makes it very easy to decant prior to pitching. Haven't done the Jamil suggestion, seems like too much work - I don't see what the benefit would be other than having fermentation start a couple hours earlier. I've even started directly pitching some of my washed yeast rather than making starters because there is so much yeast in there - just decant, bring it to room temp, put a little warm sterile water in there, and it's ready to pitch.

Thanks everyone. It went into the fridge several hours ago; I'll pull it a few hours before pitching. I appreciate all the help on this forum.

Back