Will Filtering your beer help with Astringency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
I just tasted my "Pumpkin Harvest" off of fermentation and noticed that it has a bit of astringency. I have never had that show up in one of my beers before. Sanitation was there and i use whirlfloc so most of the sediment has dropped out. I also have been noticing that when you filter a beer (with something in the 1-5 micron range) it seems to give the beer an "aged" taste. As if it were aged for 5-6 weeks already. That being said, i was building a filtration system that would filter beer off of conical or fermenter into my keg for storage/lagering/kegerator.

In short, will Filtering your beer help with off flavors and improve mouthfeel?
Particularly Astringency?

I don't think you can filter out an astringent quality. You may be able to age it out a bit but you may be stuck with it!

If it was a grain/sparge issue it may not lessen however if you put in a little too much spice (which can give astringent qualities) it may lessen with age!

Just my 2 pennies worth of worthlessness!

Isinglass is a processing aid used in wine to remove colloidal haze, improve filterability, accelerate the settlement of yeast cells and reduce astringency without affecting the natural flavor of the wine. If you want to know more you can check this website: https://www.chemozyme.com/

Back