My first Hefeweizen, time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Ok... my first ever Hefeweizen has been fermenting for 6 days now and I just did the first check of the gravity since I laid it down. The OG was 1.053, my reading today (taking the 70 degree temp. into consideration) was @ 1.013. I figure thats 75.5% attenuation.

The recipe for ~ 3 gallons (full boil):
4.30 lbs. dry wheat extract
.50 oz 3.99% AA Liberty hops @ 60 minutes
White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen yeast

Didn't make a starter but fermentation was strong within 12 hours @ 70 degress sustained... White Labs says the attenuation is 72%-76%, should I bottle this one yet? Everything looks, smells and tastes ok, but being my first stab at this style, I guess I'm just not used to it fermenting out this quickly...

Thanks in advance!

Take another measurement tomorrow and if it stays the same you should be good to go.

You did say it was a 3 gallon batch, so it probably did ferment a little quicker, and that WL Hefeweizen yeast will go crazy. :mug:

If you like a German style hefe, then be sure to try Wyeast 3068 which is a Weihenstephan strain from the oldest Brewery in the world. It's all I use for my Bavarian Hefe's

Thanks... I figured as much, I'm pretty sure it's done, but I'll know more tomorrow...

I'll give that other strain a shot for my next Hefe, I'm a big Weihenstephan too so, win/win.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back