First AG feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
I plan on posting all my notes on this for critique, but I don't have those with me right now (at work). BUT I did want to ask a question about the appearance of my beer.

I brewed AHS's Pale Rye Ale, and for my first AG effort I think it went okay. I hit 55% efficiency on my system, but I can attribute some of that to low sparge temps. The real question I have though is, the beer is in the primary (has been for two days) and it's not clear. It looks like a good beer color (caramel-colored), but it is quite opaque... almost milky. I did not add any treatment (salts, etc) to my strike water or my sparge water. Could this be the cause of the appearance? If not, what might?

Thanks for the input, and full notes to come soon.

I suppose maybe... but I remember making a comment to SWMBO while it was cooling that it looked "not as see-thru" as my other worts. I'm also using WLP002 which is of cottage-cheese consistency and highly flocculant. I'll RDWHAHB for now but reserve the right to panic later :drunk:

Can anyone offer any input in general terms, what affects would occur from a mash being too acidic or too alkaline? Much thanks guys.

All grain brews tend to have a lot more "stuff" in them unless you runoff from the kettle into a clearing tank and then rack into your primary fermentor (PITA if you ask me). It'll eventually clear. A nice conditioning period of a week or two in a secondary at 40-50F would do wonders.

Back