Wort boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
This is going to be a stupid question...

When my buddy and I brew he likes to keep the propane burner at full open the whole hour boil, so we are getting a very hard boil (a lot evaporates away).

Im of the mind to turn it down to just maintain a rolling boil.

How hard to you guys boil your wort once you get it boiling?

As far as I know, the only thing keeping the propane burner open at full will do is make you spend more money on propane. Someone with more expertise here is welcome to correct me, but to my understanding, 212 degrees is 212 degrees. A rolling boil is all you need.

cool... I think I will try it with a lower propane setting and see if that effects the flavor.

Normally a rolling boil, last brew day I walked away during the final batch sparge and overshot my volume so I left it on a full out boil most of the way to try and get me back to OG numbers, almost made it. :)

Based on your recipe, if you are consistently hitting the right numbers with your boil then you are doing the right thing. Everyone has a system that is different.

Back