Damn brandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer479

Reaction score
im new at this but how come i read your threads and it takes a year to make wine but i dont understand racking what is that* i* well my wife makes me wine she dont drink it only i do ours turns to brandy in 4 to 5 months its strong im after the flavor i got my beer to get drunk on!!! what why how please help:confused:

Racking means you move it from one fermentor to the next. It helps to get it off the yeast after awhile and provide a fresh enviornment. Wine doesn't really take a year to make, it can be done faster. But if you want good wine, it takes patience.

I myself don't make wine, but I'm sure others can fill you in on the exact process.

I'm not really sure what you're after. You sent me a recipe for peach wine (that you call brandy). By definition, brandy is a distilled beverage. Otherwise, you're making wine. Generally, wine does take a long time to mature, but some varieties mature faster than others (do a search for "apfelwein" for a rather quick one).

A point to ponder: it is much easier to read sentences constructed with capital letters and punctuation than those without.

You can make decent tasting wine in as little as 1 to 2 weeks but it wont be clear and it wont be to its full potential..... extra time to rack it and age it just make it better.

OP: Can you phrase that as a question???

And Yuri is correct, brandy is a distilled liquor. Wine doesn't just miraculously turn into brandy if you leave it sitting around. Most domestic beers are 4-9% ABV, wine is typically around 12% ABV (7.5-15% according to the FDA definitions). Brandy is generally 40-45% ABV. Even the hardiest turbo yeast strains can't hit much above 22% ABV.

Back