Campden Tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicotineRush

Reaction score
My water has a lot of chlorine and I want to use campden tablets. The directions say 1 tablet per gallon. Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks,
Tom

I am not a Vinter but I think the 1 tablet per Gallon is for that purpose to ward off infections,etc..).

For dechlorination it is 1 tablet per 20 gallons whether hot or cold and the process happens nearly instantaneously but, I always make sure to stir for a minute. For more info; look up Sodium Metabisulfite or Potassium Metabisulfite..

Campden works very well for getting rid of chloramine where boiling will volatilize chlorine. One tablet crushed treats 20 gallons.

Thanks. So, I could use 1 tablet for 6 gallons with no harmful effects, or do I need to cut them into quarters/halves?

That'll work just fine and dandy. Be sure you crush the tablet up somehow, I stick it in between two large metal sanitized spoons and squeeze them together to make a fine powder.

I used an old coffee grinder and obliterated them into powder. Prior to that I weighed a tablet and found that a tablet was equal to 1/8th teaspoon.

Thanks. So how long do I need to have the campden in the water before I can start my steeping/boiling?

24 hours is unnecessary when knocking out chloramines and free chlorine. The reaction is nearly instantaneous and the resultant sulfites are driven off by the boil. Campden tablet in the strike water, heat and go.

If you are using Campden to stun wild yeasts like vintners do, then 12 -24 hours is kosher.

When I used it prior to my current filtration, I would use 1/4 tablet, stir a couple of minutes, then go with it. The long wait is UNNECESSARY AS HAS ALREADY BEEN MENTIONED FOR YOUR NEEDS. (sORRY....Damn, stupid caps-lock)

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I have been using campden tablets and just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I have a charcoal filter that I use for my tap water going into my HLT. I usually heat 9g for my strike water, but strike with 6g of it (a little extra for temp adjusts and to speed up heating of the sparge water). Then I fill the HLT up to 10g for my sparge water for fly sparging. Was the campden tablet too much for 9g? Does it effectively get rid of chlorine and chloramines in my sparge water the way I'm using it?

Any help is appreciated.

Back