mixing BYO articles in an attempt to clone Beamish (PM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me convert the all-grain beamish-style dry stout BYO had in the Sept. 2008 issue (pg. 20) into a partial mash.

My ultimate goal is to take this PM recipe and use the method of splitting the more acrid grains in two, mashing the 2-rows etc and steeping the acrid grains. BYO published the method in the Oct. 2008 issue on page 46. The idea being that steeping the darkly roasted grains (and not mashing them) will not adversely change the PH of the mash.

I have a loose understanding of this method, so if you want to offer suggestions then i'd love the help. Really i just need help adapting this all-grain recipe into a Partial mash.

Oh, and before anyone says it, i run a mac so beersmith is out right now. I haven't figured out how to get beer alchemy to do the conversion for me yet, but i'm working on it, too.

Thanks.

OG=1.041
FG=1.009
IBU=40
SRM=50
ABV=4.1%

Ingredients:
6.00 lbs crisp british pale ale malt or similar malt made from Marris Otter
1.75 lbs Great Western Flaked Barley
17.0 oz Great Western roasted barley (500 degree L) (sorry can't find the degree sign)
7.6 AAU Challenger pellet (0.95 oz) (60 min)
2.5 AAU Kent Golding Pellet (0.5 oz) (15 min)

WLP004 (Irish Ale)

I'm going to assume that you want to mash 1.75lbs of flaked barley, and steep the 17oz of roasted barley. From this assumption I'm going to figure that you'll want to mash 1.75lbs of the pale malt with the flaked barley. So I'll walk through how to calculate how much Liquid or Dry Malt Extract is needed to replace the remaining 4.25lbs of pale malt.

First, we need to calculate how much of the OG is from the 4.25lbs of pale malt. Then we'll calculate how much LME or DME is needed to replace that gravity.

Looking in my Nov08 BYO issue in the BYO Recipe standardization section on page 4, I see a few useful facts:
  1. Extract efficiency - 65%
  2. 2-row base malts = 1.037-1.038
  3. LME = 1.033-1.037
  4. DME = 1.045

From Ray Daniels book, "Designing Great Beers":
Weight of Grain = Ingredient Gravity / (Extract Efficiency * Extract Potential)
What we want to know is the ingredient gravity for the 4.25 lbs of pale malt. By rearranging the previous formula we have:
Ingredient Gravity = Weight of Grain * Extract Efficiency * Extract Potential
or IG = 4.25lbs * .65 * 37 points/lb = 102 points.

So now we know that the 4.25lbs of pale malt contribute 102 gravity points. Ah, now you notice the OG is only 1.041. How can that be? Well those 102 points are spread over 5 gallons, so they contribute almost 21 points to the OG.

Now to figure out how much Malt Extract to use. In both cases, liquid or dry, we can use the following:
Weight of Extract = Ingredient Gravity / Extract Gravity
  • DME = 102 / 45 = 2.26 lbs
  • LME = 102 / 33 = 3.1 lbs to 102 / 37 = 2.75lbs

So the new recipe is:
2.25 lbs DME -OR- 2.75lbs LME
1.75 lbs crisp british pale ale malt (mashed)
1.75 lbs Great Western Flaked Barley (mashed)
17.0 oz Great Western roasted barley (500°L) (steeped)
7.6 AAU Challenger pellet (0.95 oz) (60 min)
2.5 AAU Kent Golding Pellet (0.5 oz) (15 min)

WLP004 (Irish Ale)

If the calculations seem difficult, or tedious, consider using Qbrew it's free open source software that runs on the Mac too.

Good Luck and happy brewing

P.S. The degree (°) is option-shift-8 on a mac.

You don't really need a computer program. You need this article: http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

I found this a while back, and it's an excellent method.

For the record, I found it again by searching Google. You'd be surprised what searches will turn up! ;) [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=all-grain+to+partial+mash&btnG=Search[/ame]

Bob

You don't really need a computer program. You need this article: http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

I found this a while back, and it's an excellent method.

For the record, I found it again by searching Google. You'd be surprised what searches will turn up! ;) all-grain to partial mash - Google Search

Bob

Really? Search? Who knew? A search is only as good as one's faith in the answers you find. For me, i haven't brewed enough to know if the calculations i come up with are right, wrong or close. I appreciate the links, i'll give them a look, but i was feeling overwhelmed by the idea of combining two techniques that i don't feel comfortable with and wanted some 'help' to make sure i'm doing it right/understanding it.

Gotcha. Sorry if I offended!

Me, I like to look for possible answers on my own, and if I get confused or have further questions, then I ask for help. Sure, I could make life easier for myself and just ask; I guess I prefer at least trying to find my own answers. That aside, the article to which I linked is, as the modern parlance goes, The Bomb. It'll take you through the entire process without resorting to software.

For that matter, you can live life without resident brewing software on your Mac. There are a bunch of online recipe calculators that can make life easy. TastyBrew and The Beer Recipator spring to mind. Give them a try! I prefer The Beer Recipator, but YMMV.

Cheers,

Bob

yeah, sorry. Early morning and longggggg voting lines. Didn't mean to sound snippy. I'll give those links a look and see what I can learn. I got too focused on the details of the methods and not enough thought about learning how to adjust the recipe.

No worries. Last November, I got to my local polling place at 0845, was Voter #13, and shot right in, no waiting. This year, I got there about the same time, was voter #180, and waited a half hour.

I'll be watching the results at my local tavern, watering hole, or caravanserai, whence can be found cellar-temperature pints of Real Ale. :D

Seriously, try a couple of the online calculators. Use those in combination with that PDF article I linked to. You won't go wrong!

Bob

Back