Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled this yesterday, only 43 bottles since I screwed up the recipe, and an ABV of 8%. HEAVY alcohol taste so far, some hop bitterness, and a slight banana smell, almost a belgian like taste, but obviously very young. Will have to brew this again, I wanted to get a good rye beer.

Well, after I screwed the recipe by using the app instead of the full recipe, its an awesome beer! I dont know how good the original was, but mine was 9% abv, great balance between hops, malt and rye. You can tell its a big beer, but its big on flavor! I honestly think its my best beer yet!

I'm really digging this recipe, but a quick newbie question:
Do recipes that call for crash cooling really require crash cooling? I keep my carboys and bottles in a dark closet but I not only lack a freezer to modify but AC to keep the temperature in my apartment reasonable. How can I modify the recipe to avoid crash cooling?

Well I finally brewed this today, I used the grain bill from the original recipe and collected 10 gallons of wort.
Then I split it in two hopping the first half with Cluster and Mosaic and using US-05. I put this in my basement which has a constant temperature of about 65 to 66, which should be fine for this yeast.

The other half I added 1/2# honey hopped with Taurus for bittering and Amarillo and French Strisselspalt for flavour/aroma and Belle Saison yeast. I put this in my temp controlled chamber at 73 and will ramp it up to 82 over the next few day.

First time I have done a split batch and modified a tried and tested recipe so much. Can't wait to see how different the Saison turns out compared to the IPA. :ban:

I'm really digging this recipe, but a quick newbie question:
Do recipes that call for crash cooling really require crash cooling? I keep my carboys and bottles in a dark closet but I not only lack a freezer to modify but AC to keep the temperature in my apartment reasonable. How can I modify the recipe to avoid crash cooling?

You don't need to cold crash this beer...I do because I dry hop with pellets straight into the secondary so cold crashing drops the hops out of suspension making it a lot easier to keg. If you dry hop in bags or have a way to filter out the hops going into the keg, you don't need to cold crash at all.

Well I finally brewed this today, I used the grain bill from the original recipe and collected 10 gallons of wort.
Then I split it in two hopping the first half with Cluster and Mosaic and using US-05. I put this in my basement which has a constant temperature of about 65 to 66, which should be fine for this yeast.

The other half I added 1/2# honey hopped with Taurus for bittering and Amarillo and French Strisselspalt for flavour/aroma and Belle Saison yeast. I put this in my temp controlled chamber at 73 and will ramp it up to 82 over the next few day.

First time I have done a split batch and modified a tried and tested recipe so much. Can't wait to see how different the Saison turns out compared to the IPA. :ban:

Nice! I'm interested to see how the Belle Saison batch turns out (you will love the Mosaic batch).

I just brewed up another batch of this using Cluster/Mosaic/El Dorado and switched to Wyeast American Ale II (since my LHBS was out of Denny's Favorite)...turned out amazing!!

Nice! I'm interested to see how the Belle Saison batch turns out (you will love the Mosaic batch).

I just brewed up another batch of this using Cluster/Mosaic/El Dorado and switched to Wyeast American Ale II (since my LHBS was out of Denny's Favorite)...turned out amazing!!

Cool - unbelievable how many different takes on this beer you have done.
I wish I had so much time to that much experimenting.

I did lose a few oz of the Rye on a floor due to a "grinding incident" :eek: I unfortunately only had exactly what the recipe called for so I couldn't replace it. Hopefully it won't affect the flavour too much.

So after 10 days the beer with Mosaic and US-05 is down to 1.017 and lots of yeast on the surface still. It doesn't taste like anything special which is probably normal for the stage it's at. I'll wait at least a week before I take another sample.

As for the Saison beer, that yeast is a monster.
1.073 to 1.006 in 5 days and it's still active. It's already approaching 9% alc.
I hope it will not have too much heat due to the alcohol content. I guess I really didn't need to add the honey to help dry it out :drunk:
Anyway it has a lot of flavours going on; fruity, spicy and even a little aniseed (probably from the strisselspalt). I'll take a another sample on the weekend but will be careful with it as I don't want any bottle bombs.

Keep us posted!

I am making my starter now in preparation to brew another batch of this for a keg competition in August. Love this beer :D

I brewed this yesterday, I overshot my OG, b/c i only ended up with 5 gal after dumping entire kettle into the fermenter. I ended up @ 1.083 I'm chilling it in my ferm chamber to pitch temp. (pitching later today.) should i pick up an extra US05 and pitch 2? I hope it still tastes okay I've never overshot my OG that badly before

So my two versions of this have been bottled now and both are tasting great.
I bottled the Belle Saison version about 10 days ago but it did nothing for the first 4 or 5 days at 68F so I put the crates in my fermentation chamber at 77F and after another 5 days it has a lot of CO2 in it but I think it needs another week to finish. The spicy yeast and Amarillo are perfect with the Rye. It finished at 1.000 and 9.5% but it still doesn't taste dry.

The US-05/Mosaic version took ages to finish but it's been in the bottle 4 days now and tasting better every day. Until now I like the Saison version better which could be because it has more CO2 in it and so many different flavours going on. I think the US-05 one will slowly catch up though.

Also still no sign of the big nitrohead but I guess I will have to wait until they are fully carbed and cold crashed.

All in all I'm really happy with my decision to make a split batch and end up to two very different beers without changing too much.

My cluster/mosaic version of this beer won 'brewer's choice' at the 'be our brewer' competition in Allentown Saturday. I will be brewing it with the head brewer at Bethlehem Brew Works in early September and it will be on tap at their brew pub in October :D

My cluster/mosaic version of this beer won 'brewer's choice' at the 'be our brewer' competition in Allentown Saturday. I will be brewing it with the head brewer at Bethlehem Brew Works in early September and it will be on tap at their brew pub in October :D

Great stuff - congratulations!

I brewed your version and it's a really nice beer.
I overshot my OG to 1.070 and FG was 1.014 so a bit sweeter than the original.

Out of curiosity what exactly is your hop schedule?

I did
FW 1/2 Oz Cluster 90 min
1 Oz Cluster 60 min - 35 IBUs
1/2 Oz Mosaic 15 min
1/2 Oz Mosaic 5 min
20 min hopstand/whirlpool

About 70 IBUs

Great stuff - congratulations!

I brewed your version and it's a really nice beer.
I overshot my OG to 1.070 and FG was 1.014 so a bit sweeter than the original.

Out of curiosity what exactly is your hop schedule?

I did
FW 1/2 Oz Cluster 90 min
1 Oz Cluster 60 min - 35 IBUs
1/2 Oz Mosaic 15 min
1/2 Oz Mosaic 5 min
20 min hopstand/whirlpool

About 70 IBUs

I've brewed a few different variations but the one that won the competition was:

60 min boil

Cluster FWH (21 IBU)
Mosaic 60 min (34 IBU)
Mosaic 30 min (13 IBU)
Mosaic 5 min (7 IBU)
Mosaic Whirlpool (1.5oz)
Mosaic Dry hop (1.5oz)
Citra Dry hop (1.5 oz)

I have been working with the head brewer to scale this recipe up to their 13bbl system and it looks like it will take about 49 lbs of hops!!!

I've brewed a few different variations but the one that won the competition was:

60 min boil

Cluster FWH (21 IBU)
Mosaic 60 min (34 IBU)
Mosaic 30 min (13 IBU)
Mosaic 5 min (7 IBU)
Mosaic Whirlpool (1.5oz)
Mosaic Dry hop (1.5oz)
Citra Dry hop (1.5 oz)

I have been working with the head brewer to scale this recipe up to their 13bbl system and it looks like it will take about 49 lbs of hops!!!

Wow 49lbs :)

That must have turned out quite a bit different than how I hopped mine.
I want to brew this sometime again but I only have about 1/2 an ounce of Mosaic left.

I have about 10 lbs of hops so I'd rather use some of them rather than buying more.

I think I could substitute Galaxy for the Mosaic if that's not goig to be too fruity together with Citra in the dry hop.

Made this a week ago to try out a ton of new techniques that I finally had the equipment for. Followed the recipe except for hop times and had to switch the Tett to Saaz due to my LHBS. A few notes...

1st all grain in my new mash tun (hit 1.070, pretty happy with that!)

1st batch using a no chill cube technique (due to California drought and trying to conserve water and equipment costs)... changed the hop schedule based on recommendations of a brewing friend, and no infection this far, woot!

1st time using my fermentation chamber after muddling my way through the son of fermentation chiller directions.

Only difficulty so far has been a super slow start on the yeast... I pitched Safale 05 hydrated (but perhaps rushed and didn't wait to see the yeast proof) into the wort at 61 degrees or so at 6pm yesterday evening, and left it that low in the fermentation chamber overnight, but saw no activity 15 hours later. Took the ale pail out of the chamber and moved outside to increase temp for a few hours... it has started bubbling slowly (at 18 hours after pitching), but I went out and grabbed another packet of yeast anyways and am throwing it in.

I was planning on fermenting at 64 degrees the whole time, but am wondering if that's a bit low due to my slow start. I also could have had a slow start because I didn't aerate the wort enough.

Anyone have any other thoughts on ferm temps?

Also, Thanks Ed, for the great simple recipe... I love rye beers, and can't wait for this one. Last year, your apfelwein and Bee Cave IPA were both big hits. I'm working my way through your recipes, and always enjoying them.

Tasted my first bottle of this the other night and WOW! This beer is fantastic! Probably my best yet!:ban:

I dry hopped it with 2oz of Chinook... Probably not the cheapest beer I've made and I had several hiccups along the way but it was all worth it in the end..... What a beer! I'll try to post a pic tonight.....

Thanks for the recipe Ed! Cheers!:mug:

Here it is!

GEDC0302.jpg

Time to brew this again soon.
Also time to experiment.
I'm going to split a 15 gallon batch into 3.

No1 - will be with Belle Saison Amarillo and Strisselspalt again but without the honey. Tasted great last time but the 9.5 to 10% Alc. was a bit too much. :drunk:

No2 - Belma bittering and Galaxy flavour/aroma with US05 maybe dry hop with something (Citra?)

No3- Rye stout - do a mini-mash with 1lb Pale Ale 1lb chocolate Rye and 4oz roasted barley and add to the boil. Hopped with Target (bittering) and EKG flavour/aroma. S04 yeast - or a mix of T-58/Brewferm Blanche that I need to use soon.

I just need to find the time :eek:

Bottled this one two weeks ago, after three days dry hopping with Chinook. The aroma is phenomenal, and the flavor is great, waiting abit longer for my bottles to fully carbonate. (And, trying not to drink it all before that happens.)

Brewing this right now. Thanks everyone. I can't wait to see the head after a smooth pour.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413496179.275247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Rye ipa brew day update. Used the exact recipe and my pre boil was 1.066, OG came it at 1.088. I had a little over 5 gallons after boil. Did I boil too much off? Might I add that this was my 4th AG and this was the most amazing smelling wort.

Rye ipa brew day update. Used the exact recipe and my pre boil was 1.066, OG came it at 1.088. I had a little over 5 gallons after boil. Did I boil too much off? Might I add that this was my 4th AG and this was the most amazing smelling wort.

I came out a bit high on my OG when I brewed this up too if you haven't pitched yeast you could dilute that's what I did, it turned out fantastic!

I came out a bit high on my OG when I brewed this up too if you haven't pitched yeast you could dilute that's what I did, it turned out fantastic!

Its too late for me. I'll take a gravity reading in a 2 weeks and post an updated. Would you recommend pitching more yeast or dry hopping to get the extra bit of bitterness?

Its too late for me. I'll take a gravity reading in a 2 weeks and post an updated. Would you recommend pitching more yeast or dry hopping to get the extra bit of bitterness?

At this point I would let it ride the yeast should do their job & will have multiplied to the numbers they need on their own. The yeast may have been stressed, but I don't think pitching more yeast now would help with that. If when you check your FG your fermentation has stalled then I would start thinking about more yeast. It will likely be fine though just remember since your OG was high your FG will be high too.

I dry hopped mine with 2oz of Chinook it added a nice aroma. Dry hopping will not add bittering the bittering is caused by the isomerization of alpha acids during the boil.

From How To Brew, By John Palmer
"Hop resins act like oil in water. It takes the boiling action of the wort to isomerize them, which means that the chemical structure of the alpha acid compounds is altered so that the water molecules can attach and these compounds can dissolve into the wort. "

Dry hopping will only really add aroma to your beer. I would say dry hopping is a matter of personal preference I like a lot of hop aroma in my IPAs so I dry hopped mine.

No matter what you decide to do You will end up with beer probably good beer too so just RDWHAHB:mug:

I miss this beer, think it's time for another brew session. It was fantastic last time. The Tettnanger FWH were just so smooth.

Just picked up the grains, hops, and yeast. Looks like Friday after Turkey Day will be a smoking (pork shoulder) and brewing session...good times.:mug:

Next up for me is a white IPA but then after that a split batch of this beer again.
This time half of it like the original recipe and the second half I'll make Belgian Rye Chocolate Stout. Still need to plan exactly how to do it though.

Doing this BIAB, anything I should change or do different?
Thanks in advance, new to brewing.

Doing this BIAB, anything I should change or do different?
Thanks in advance, new to brewing.
Full grain bill? May want to goose up the base malt a tad if you experience lower efficiency with BIAB, not everyone does. Crush is a big part of that.

I wrapped up a nice Thanksgiving weekend by brewing this today. Subbed out 5 lbs of base malt for 3 lbs Pils DME for my own version of a partial mash. Came in slightly high with an OG of 1.070. Really looking forward to this one!

Bottled up after a 2 day cold crash. Man it's good to taste this again. Its just very unique...smooth yet spicy and just the right bitterness. This is going to be a joy to share with others in the coming weeks as well. Guessing it will hit its stride around New Years and beyond.

Ed: I've done a few of your recipes or modifications thereof and they have all been great.
White IPA's seem to be the rage now. My son brought home a New Belgium "Accumulation," that used Mosaic and Amarillo hops (no further info on the bottle).

Do you have any good White IPA clones?

Could you teach us brewing underlings how to deconstruct a commercial beer to copy the flavors or at least pull out some of the desirable traits?

@mysteryberto: Founders Brewery in Mich. does an excellent Red Rye beer. I have brewed a clone of it and modified that a few times and it is one of my favorites (by "my favorites" I mean that family and friends drink it all before I get a chance)

Back