Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myownbrew

Reaction score
Folks,

I just brewed up a batch of Scotch Ale on Saturday. The first day the fermenting was taking place normally and bubling like crazy. I looked today (monday) to see how the batch was coming along and no bubbling. Its not possibilty that it would be done yet? What could be happening? The thermometer on the bucket said that the wort was about 72 degrees. Will I have to toss in more yeast? Also when I took a gravity reading prior to pitching the yeast it was low to start with. What is the problem?

AJ

Probably no problem at all. It might be that your fermentation is nearly done...if you peek inside you should see krauzen, or a ring around the fermenter just above the wort showing where the krauzen has been. Give it another 4 or 5 days, then check the SG and rack to secondary (if you're using one), or give it another 11 or 12 days then bottle.

Not necessarily done, but close.

Leave it in the primary for another day or two then rack to a secondary (carboy). Secondary for a week or two, then bottle.

Are you really a cop? What's the deal with being into "Reef and Beer"? Do you mean reefer?

I wouldn't think someone in your position would put that info in their profile unless there was another agenda going on here. Just curiouser and curiouser...

What part of IL are you from?

yep, i agree w/ El Pistolero and HB 99. just let it ride a few more days to make sure the yeast has attenuated and done it's duty. rack it over and let it condition and clarify for another 10-14 days.

homebrewer_99 said:
Not necessarily done, but close.

Leave it in the primary for another day or two then rack to a secondary (carboy). Secondary for a week or two, then bottle.

Are you really a cop? What's the deal with being into "Reef and Beer"? Do you mean reefer?

I wouldn't think someone in your position would put that info in their profile unless there was another agenda going on here. Just curiouser and curiouser...

What part of IL are you from?

Thanks guys for the great tips!

Homebrewer 99-I guess your curiousity has gotten the best of you and if you must know I am a cop. When I mention reefs I mean coral reefs and saltwater. I have saltwater coral reef tanks in my home as a hobby. :drunk: :p I am from the northest burbs of IL.

AJ

myownbrew said:
Thanks guys for the great tips!

Homebrewer 99-I guess your curiousity has gotten the best of you and if you must know I am a cop. When I mention reefs I mean coral reefs and saltwater. I have saltwater coral reef tanks in my home as a hobby. I am from the northest burbs of IL.

AJ
Cool! Ever dive in the Caymans? I've snorkled there. I don't trust myself diving. I am a heart attack surviver and I don't think going deep would be in my best interest.:eek:

The rest of the stuff was just joking around...:D...that's my way.

I'm all the way over the state off I-80 and closer to Iowa. I work on weapons at Rock Island.

Welcome.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Cool! Ever dive in the Caymans? I've snorkled there. I don't trust myself diving. I am a heart attack surviver and I don't think going deep would be in my best interest.:eek:

The rest of the stuff was just joking around...:D...that's my way.

I'm all the way over the state off I-80 and closer to Iowa. I work on weapons at Rock Island.

Welcome.:D

No I have not been snorking yet, but do plan on going to Cozumel Mexico sometime. I know you were just playing around. No big deal! I am sorry to hear that you have had a heart attack. You are drinking beer? How do you combine those two together? Take Care!

AJ

myownbrew said:
No I have not been snorking yet, but do plan on going to Cozumel Mexico sometime. I know you were just playing around. No big deal! I am sorry to hear that you have had a heart attack. You are drinking beer? How do you combine those two together? Take Care!

AJ

my wife and i did some snorkeling (and they do dive trips too) in Pamul, Mexico. it's about 45 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen, but north of the Mayan ruins of Tulum. most beautiful water i have ever seen in my life! it's called Scuba Mex. great people. they took just my wife and i out on some reefs just right off the beach and just down the beach. got REAL close to some barricuda, sponges, fish, etc. nothing fancy, but a good time w/ out a lot of the tourists and stuff. has a cool little cabana restaurant and bar on the beach too.

DeRoux's Broux said:
my wife and i did some snorkeling (and they do dive trips too) in Pamul, Mexico. it's about 45 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen, but north of the Mayan ruins of Tulum. most beautiful water i have ever seen in my life! it's called Scuba Mex. great people. they took just my wife and i out on some reefs just right off the beach and just down the beach. got REAL close to some barricuda, sponges, fish, etc. nothing fancy, but a good time w/ out a lot of the tourists and stuff. has a cool little cabana restaurant and bar on the beach too.

Sounds like a great time!

AJ

I don't...I try to keep them apart...:drunk:

No problems here (knock on wood - so I used my head). It's been almost 9 years (in about 3 weeks) since my MI.

I've been to Cancun. I also visited the pyramid at Chitzen Itza and Tulum on my honeymoon. We went to Cozomel on another trip.

I've also been to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas (seperate times) as well as 3 times to Jamaica.

Ever been to St. Croix? They have a huge 500 pound beer-drinking pig! It jumps up with it's front legs on the fence and takes the beer can from your hand. It cracks the can open with it's mouth and drinks the beer! Apparently they had to switch to NA beer since the last pig they had died from all the alcohol! They also sell this stuff called Mamma Wanna ( I think I spelled that right). Basically, it is Caribbean moonshine.
I also recommend the Cruzan Rum Factory tour. It costs a few bucks for the tour and then it's all you can drink!

Oh yeah, I also did some snorkeling. Too bad I left my hotel room key in my bathing suit pocket.....that was expensive....

homebrewer_99 said:
I've been to Cancun. I also visited the pyramid at Chitzen Itza and Tulum on my honeymoon. We went to Cozomel on another trip.

I've also been to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas (seperate times) as well as 3 times to Jamaica.

does the water get any better though, than it is at Tulum? i mean, it was just unreal :eek: :eek:

Went on day trip south of Cancun with a company called Snorkeling Adventures. Beautiful reef and fish, great food, and private beach. The trip also came with all the cheap beer you can drink. I swear the beer tasted like it had been sitting in the hot sun for a year. I will recommend the snorkeling, but not the beer.

i was pleasantly suprised w/ the beer at our resort (Royal Hideaway). the Negra Modelo and Corona on tap where PDG. the sangria was WAY better though....maybe it was the sun, sand, and the water ??????

I've done the Cancun/Cozumel thing twice. You couldn't ask for a better time. Lot's of sunshine,sand,excellent eats. The fishing was red hot and I didn't even feel guilty about having daquiries for breakfast.

Funny thing is, Corona actually tasted good down there. I think they're shipping the crappy stuff up north and keeping the primo for the tourists. I noticed the locals were drinking Dos Equis mostly. Oh and Lots of Red Stripe (jamaican beer).

I'll go back someday when my kids are older.

There are some pretty decent beers in Mexico, Vienna-style lagers mostly, that don't seem to cross the border. Nothing super spectacular, but decent enough. During Christmas there is a special edition called Nochebuena (Good Night, also the word for poinsettia) which is around 7% and really nice. Ales and microbrews, however, are for the most part a no go. A couple years ago there was a new brewpub in Guadalajara that had pretty good beer, but the people just aren't interested and the last time I was down there it was out of business.

Back